Join for free
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 11:55 AM

passport

Two months ago I changed my name to my birth name by legal deed poll. My passport runs out in 2017 so has two years to run. It is still in my old married name. I've been told that I must apply for a new passport in my new name , pay the full price yet lose the two years left.

Now if I was to go abroad in the next two years and show my passport along with an original deed poll showing new and old surnames and birth certificate do you think this would allow me to leave and return ? I just don't see why I have to lose the next two years and pay for a new one .

It's just a thought by the way , I've no holidays planned but would appreciate your thoughts . Thankyou
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 12:04 PM

Re: passport

I'm not sure about that one Susan. I'm wondering if it's a case of, if you've legally changed your name, then you have to change everything else? Maybe I'm wrong.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Two months ago I changed my name to my birth name by legal deed poll. My passport runs out in 2017 so has two years to run. It is still in my old married name. I've been told that I must apply for a new passport in my new name , pay the full price yet lose the two years left.

Now if I was to go abroad in the next two years and show my passport along with an original deed poll showing new and old surnames and birth certificate do you think this would allow me to leave and return ? I just don't see why I have to lose the next two years and pay for a new one .

It's just a thought by the way , I've no holidays planned but would appreciate your thoughts . Thankyou
I find that a little odd ,after all when you marry you don't pay for a new passport ,you fill in a form with your maiden name ,lus new name ..
There might be. A special form to fill in , cause i believe there is for people who are adopted , they have a differant. Name to birth name .
A phone call to the passport office should put you right.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 03:01 PM

If you apply for a new passport you are allowed to carry over the last nine months' validity so your new passport can be valid for up to ten years and nine months. If you're not planning to travel in the foreseeable future, why not just wait until nine months before your current passport expires to get the new one?
I'm sure you can get an answer by phoning the passport office though.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 03:21 PM

Exactly as Orangutan has said above and this is the Gov.UK link which explains changing your name back to your maiden name ...... you will need to click on section 4 for your position.

https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport...ation/overview
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 03:24 PM

You say 'you've been told' about validity etc ... but by whom? Someone official, someone who should know or just someone? All sorts of people think they know all sort of things but unfortunately they are often mistaken

I'd contact the passport office, or even first try looking at their website, to see if you can ascertain the exact position. Once done, then you'll know where you stand and can chose when to renew your passport, to get 'maximum value'
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 05:27 PM

Thankyou all . Definitely won't travel till I renew or check it out .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top