Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 05:41 PM

Sky Broadband

For about a week, up until this morning, my SKY Broadband's been so bad that I couldn't do much at all - I even had to go to my bank because I couldn't do it all online.

I tried sending an email to the Help people but I just got that bouncing back again as they've closed that avenue.

Eventually I tried their Accessibility site and looked at the Chat as I'd been asked to try instead.

That wasn't available and from past experience doesn't seem to be available most times but, I digress.

I thought that I'd try their Help Lines, or whatever they're called and I found a troubleshooter for my problem.

I have tried this before and found it pretty basic stuff but, just like before, within minutes of starting to go through the checklist I noticed that the responses seemed to have speeded up.

I've been getting as low as 2.26Mbps lately but very unstable so I've been running Ookla Speedtest to check and I went to that and ran it - back up to 9.57Mbps!

Being a little sceptical I am wondering if this is some kind of ploy to get me to cough-up for an engineer visit for no real reason because they keep sending me email and letters about the fact that my warranty has run out on the dish etcetera.

The last time this happened the engineer I had to call-in then, and pay for, told me that I could have done it myself if they'd told me and it involved going to the Sky diagnostic site, which today I did.

It seems to me that the millisecond you go onto this site the thing starts its diagnostic routines because my Task Manager went bananas!

Anyway, I'm back up and running - suspicious but - heh - I've got my connection back and I'm happy and it has cost me sod-all this time.

By the way, as soon as I can manage it I intend to buy a satellite doodah of my own and use Freesat 'cos I really can't afford this SKY £50+ per month anymore. stevmk2
PennyW
Chester
PennyW is female  PennyW has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 05:59 PM

Re: Sky Broadband

Hi Steve, we too are on Sky Broadband and it got worse and worse, also we were using Catchup TV, my iPad, kids iPhones etc etc, eventually signed up for Superfast Fibre blah blah... a huge amount better (and costing us another £20 or so), but our speeds are still half what they say they should be. I think whoever you are with you are still using largely old BT copper cable technology which gets overloaded at peak times.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 06:09 PM

It's all a big con with these cable companies to get you to upgrade to their superfast fibre broadband the speed with Talk Talk in our area has always been around 8 Mbps it's now been reduced to 4.2 Mbps.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by PennyW ->
Hi Steve, we too are on Sky Broadband and it got worse and worse, also we were using Catchup TV, my iPad, kids iPhones etc etc, eventually signed up for Superfast Fibre blah blah... a huge amount better (and costing us another £20 or so), but our speeds are still half what they say they should be. I think whoever you are with you are still using largely old BT copper cable technology which gets overloaded at peak times.
That's the problem Penny - welcome to you by the way!

I've had a number of "run-ins" with SKY over various problems and I've gone right up to the top kiddies of the organisation but they don't respond - ever.

To quote one of the late, great Ronnie Barker's characters - they are all small, brown, Richard the 3rds. stevmk2
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 11:17 PM

It´s all down to increasing TV downloading using up the band-width. Internet speeds in this country are a disgrace, and little will be done about it while these shyster ISPs are making loads of money out of the gullible consumer. They promise the earth and then gradually reduce the speed hoping you won´t notice.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 11:33 PM

I've been getting as low as 2.26Mbps
Steve I would consider that to be a very good speed out in the countryside at the end of the line our speeds are dreadful and it doesn't look like they will ever improve.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 12:46 AM

I'm with Talk Talk, ours is dreadfully slow hear apparently its because we're just over the hill from where it's super fast!
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 10:17 AM

My speeds with TalkTalk were never more than 2.5 - 3 Mbs, and that was always OK for what I do. But it didn't´t stop them from gradually reducing it, and now I´ve dumped them -best decision I´ve made in a long time. It puzzles me why people need high speeds - unless you´re watching the dreaded on-line TV, playing silly games or downloading many gigabytes, around 4 Mbs is plenty for most users.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2015, 10:22 AM

If you want free sat you only need to cancel the contract you can carry on using your sky box as a freesat box.

We did that until we were sure we were happy then bought a box that allows us to record etc
But if your broad band is with them that stops working too. We went with BT and not had too many problems.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

01-03-2015, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by 2wheeler;618337[B
It´s all down to increasing TV downloading using up the band-width.[/B] They promise the earth and then gradually reduce the speed hoping you won´t notice.
Good point 2wheeler - hadn't thought of that.

I've actually looked around this morning at Broadband deals in my area and they all look great compared to SKY - until you go onto Reviews!

Plusnet comes in top yet - apparently their customer service is even worse than SKY!

Put you right off switching but I did see another one - number two on the list in this area called Fuel Broadband - used to be called Primus Saver according to the comparison site Cable.co.uk.

Really, for us where we are at the moment the BT exchange is 0.4 miles away - it's a massive building that used to cause all sorts of TV distortion - and we have been told that that have no intention of upgrading it at all.

Because of that, all the promises in the world won't make a difference really if we are routed through that exchange. stevmk2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top