Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2017, 03:36 PM

Re: Remember

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
"And the wife was content with her lot"

Really??
I think my mum was.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2017, 04:35 PM

Yes remember it well PD and everyone was much happier.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2017, 05:29 PM

The satchels we carried our books in,
The gabardine macs with a hood
Wellington boots were in fashion
For the dog 'oops' in which we stood.

(It was everywhere) .

On a Saturday afternoon,
We would take a trip to the park
To lay on the grass and listen
For the song of the tuneful skylark .
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2017, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
"And the wife was content with her lot"

Really??
Quite! It was bloomin hard work yer know, making dinners hot from the oven day in day out and she wanted to go out and earn money too....
show the world that women could do men's jobs as they had during the war.
Besides butter milk and cream were a nightmare to keep from turning in the hot weather, she wanted to be able to afford a new-fangled fridge thing to keep food cold and fresh
and travel to Pontins or maybe even abroad once in a while
And if she had to darn another sock, and use the effin mangle after scalding her hands in the water, washing clothes, she thought maybe she would have to stab herself in the leg with the large darning needle just to keep from running away

swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2017, 07:11 PM

Hi

We had absolutely naff all when I was a kid, my father did not start earning it until after I had left home.

Loads of kids, one very severely disabled, I was the eldest, had to look after the others, set an example and got a clout any time one of them misbehaved.

I even had to hand my paper round money to my Mum.

Nothing I want to remember.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2017, 07:48 PM

How very true that is PD, what you never had you didn’t miss, games of marbles on the path, and playing Jackstones, a simple game with five stones that thought us kids dexterity with our fingers and mind working together, very useful abilities for later life. Alas now all confined to the history books. Our grandkids can’t believe half the things we did when we were kids, and how we lived without computers and mobile phones is completely beyond them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2017, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I think my mum was.
My nan was too she always said she loved looking after her own home and kids rather than the home and kids where she had been in service. I think only time she wished she was elsewhere was when she got a bit lonely after all the kids went to school, it was company she wanted not work.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 01:23 AM

Ah Swim, that's so sad for a child but I've heard of a number of people who experienced much the same. It's hard to understand that a child doesn't have nice memories of growing up.

Marbles and jacks, remember them well Jem.

Rhian, we too kept the milk in a bucket of cold water outside, to stop it turning , although it didn't always work.

Certain subjects were never discussed . How we perceive things as a child can stay a lifetime.

Like when you went to the corner shop on an errand, with some money wrapped up in a note from your mum to the lady. The lady with nicotine stained , coarse, white hair (made her look patchy blonde) would root around under the counter and bring out a brown paper package to take home. Mysterious dealings indeed, but now we see them all over the screens with wings !
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
My nan was too she always said she loved looking after her own home and kids rather than the home and kids where she had been in service. I think only time she wished she was elsewhere was when she got a bit lonely after all the kids went to school, it was company she wanted not work.
To be fair Julie, home was work in those days! Most people had a clean,tidy home, a cupboard full of clean dishes, clean clothes to wear and a home made hot meal every day..... and they didn't have machines to do all the work!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 07:34 AM

7 kids , no money , tough times for mum . We had very little but we all got jobs at 13 and 14 . Nothing came easy . Sister and I remember our last ever Christmas presant was when we were 12 , after that father Christmas never found us again .

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top