Join for free
Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 04:22 PM

Re: Real books vs e books?

I have tried to read from my laptop or tablet and am not happy with either. I'd like to join the trend as my wife and most of our kids and grandkids use their electronic "books", but I guess I'm like the "old dog and new tricks".

As I'm 85, I'm puzzled by the apparent difficulty some people have, of holding a book while reading? I read every evening, without fail, lying in bed with a reading light clipped to my book. I do understand if one has a crippling problem with their hands or arms, but holding a book for the average person??
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 05:15 PM

I suppose it depends on the book, one of my photography books is so large that it can’t be read in bed, my casual reading is done on my kindle, but ‘proper’ books are in softback or hardback
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I prefer real books but I do think e books are useful when travelling etc. Sometimes I download several free books on Kindle most of which are not very good and I give up after a few chapters but I do wonder if I would make more effort had I bought the proper book. Having said that, I have read some excellent free books and there is the advantage of being able to read the reviews.

My biggest gripe with Amazon is having to sift through all those 'Billionaire and his lover' type books.
Surely, only if you choose the erotica section LG, it is a matter
of choice?
Not so?

Best Regards. Donkeyman.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2019, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I suppose it depends on the book, one of my photography books is so large that it can’t be read in bed, my casual reading is done on my kindle, but ‘proper’ books are in softback or hardback
You seem to have found the solution,rehab, scout for new
Stuff to read on kindle, do the real reading with real books

Best regards Donkeyman .
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 08:26 PM

I like books and e-books, but e-books take up less room in the house and in my holiday luggage and don't need to be tidied up or dusted. They're a lot cheaper than the same version in paperback and I can get them "delivered" instantly. E-books mean nobody has to cut down trees to make the paper for my books, too.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

03-04-2019, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I like books and e-books, but e-books take up less room in the house and in my holiday luggage and don't need to be tidied up or dusted. They're a lot cheaper than the same version in paperback and I can get them "delivered" instantly. E-books mean nobody has to cut down trees to make the paper for my books, too.
All very true, Tachyon, but the fact that we use trees to make
paper does not mean we are destroying forests, the trees
we use are 90 % pine trees, which grow very quickly and
are grown specifically for making paper, and are grown in
plantations in a sustainable manner, and so never deplete.
lf we utilised our other natural resources in a similar manner
the world would be a better place.

Best Regards Donkeyman
Senex
California, USA
Senex is male  Senex has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 04:05 AM

Real books. The e-books you rent. The minute I heard Amazon (and other purveyors) was surreptitiously deleting paid for books from those readers, I wanted no part of that scam. If I want to 'borrow' a book, that's what a library is for. If I want to pay a fee to borrow a book, that is what ILL is for.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Senex ->
Real books. The e-books you rent. The minute I heard Amazon (and other purveyors) was surreptitiously deleting paid for books from those readers, I wanted no part of that scam. If I want to 'borrow' a book, that's what a library is for. If I want to pay a fee to borrow a book, that is what ILL is for.
First thing I do when I buy an ebook is rip out the DRM so the book is mine but also my Sony ebook is not part of the Kindle (attempted) monopoly
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 08:31 AM

I have never paid for an ebook. In the days gone by before the Kindle I was finding free books from various online sites and reading them on a Psion.
Even now with the free daily offers from Amazon and the CDs that I was given that contain thousands of titles. There is no need for me to spend for my reading.
But saying that, I did buy 3 tree books recently from a charity shop that still gave me change from a £1.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2019, 06:33 PM

Like Emjay I go for the free ebooks and download them. I still have a lot of actual books that I'd not part with. But my real love these days are Audio Books, I also download free ones to my desk computer. In the Winter I like to do online jigsaws and listen to a book at the same time.

Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top