Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 09:54 AM

Re: Weight loss plan

Originally Posted by Yolande ->
I have checked my 'Live set Natural Yogurt' Pakeeza brand bought in Tesco.
It's 425 grams. with 81 calories per 100.
It does not contain sugar.
You haven't checked it properly then.

You need to read the NUTRITION label of every product you buy rather than the ingredients list.

Pakeeza yoghurt contains 3.4g of sugar per 100g of product so your entire pot there contains over 14g. That is near enough 4 teaspoonfuls of sugar.

It also conatins 16g of fat.

The crucial problem with this and all other yoghurts is that the content of FIBRE is virtually zero.

When you ingest sugar, you need to be ingesting fibre too so that the body metabolises the sugars over a long period which then allows your various body functions (breathing, living, walking, working etc) to burn it for fuel. Without any fibre your body will metabolise the sugars immediately and store them away as fat.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
All my life I've belonged to slimming clubs , like a lot I became obsessed , the weighing in days were awful to be informed 1lb had gone on when I'd been good all week . A year or so ago I decided to stop going , and gained weight , just over a stone . So I know realist is right when he says long term clubs and diets don't work . I'm trying to eat healthy now and doing more excersise.
Well done for quitting the Slimming Clubs Susan. They exist for profit and they make an awful lot of it. You will never, imo, lose weight permanently following slimming clubs.

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Regarding the low fat yoghurt and the amount of sugar it contains I'm shocked , so my question is , is there a lower sugar alternative as I do eat natural yoghurt most days .
Not really an alternative TBH. The sugars in yoghurt occur naturally from the milk (lactose). The problem is that there is no fibre in there.

So by all means do eat the yoghurt but make sure you eat plenty of high fibre products with it. For example bananas and other high fibre fruit, and some high fibre homemade granola sprinkled on top and so on.

I was in CostCo yesterday and bumped into my motherinlaw and her friend who is hobbling about on a stick, generally very unhealthy, pasty complexion and borederline diabetic. She picked out a multipack of those small ACTIMEL yoghurts saying proudly that she and her husband have one every day religiously as if this were some kind of super health regime. I showed her the nutrition label and told her that each of those tiny bottles contains the equivalent of 3 teaspoons of sugar. Unfortunately, she hasn't reached even the most basic level of nutritional understanding and believes the brainwashing adverts on TV. Each to their own.

Since you are moving up to the next level (i.e. quitting the BS mainstream clubs and silly diets that don't help) then I would go through your kitchen cupboards and look at the nutritional information on every tin and packet.

Check the sugar content AND the fibre content. Remember that 4g of sugar is 1 teaspoonful.

You'll be shocked.

Even a humble tin of chopped tomatoes contains many spoonfuls of sugar.

In general, favour actual fruits and vegetables bought in their raw form rather than tins or cartons. However, if you do use tins/cartons, then simply be resolved to use them in a recipe that combines them with plenty of fibre.

In general I just cook some kind of meat or fish eat night along with about 5 different types of vegetables and sometimes with a few potatoes. At this time of year I reach for the broad beans on supermarket shelves as often as I can as these contain Amygdalin (same as found in Apricot Kernels) and that helps as a deterrent against cancer.

Usually I make a sort of ratatuille with leeks, courgettes, garlic, fresh tomatoes and peppers and have stringless beans and broccolli as well. Lots of flavours and textures.

I also buy Almond Milk in cartons which have a very long shelf life. I have this on cereals sometimes instead of milk.

Good luck rummaging
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 12:02 PM

Thankyou realist , as always your knowledge is very helpful .
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 03:45 PM

The only sugar it contains is 'carbohydrates of which 3.5g is sugar'
As the only ingredient of this yogurt is milk it is naturally occurring sugar in the milk.
This is quite different to flavoured and fruit yogurts that have added sugar.
Natural yogurt is still low calorie: 81 calories per 100gm.
That 425gm pot provided 5 good size servings.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

10-08-2017, 08:10 PM

As the only ingredient of this yogurt is milk it is naturally occurring sugar in the milk.
Yep I already said that, but the thing is, sugar is sugar whether it is added to a product or naturally occurring in a product. The number of calories in the product doesn't really come into this debate. Sugars mess with your brain and your bodily functions and after the initial energy burst will later produce a "crash" leaving you feeling hungry when in fact your body isn't hungry at all and that's when people reach for snacks.

Let me deal with the science.

The basic "simple sugars" are as follows (with their chemical formulae):

Glucose - a Monosaccharide - C6H12O6

Fructose - a Monosaccharide - C6H12O6

Galactose - a Monosaccharide - C6H12O6

The formula means they have 6 Carbon atoms, 12 Hydrogen atoms and 6 Oxygen atoms). They differ only in the specific arrangement of those atoms.

Most fruits and Vegetables contain roughly the same mix of Glucose and Fructose.

The Glucose part is processed by the generation of insulin and is what affects your blood sugar levels. Hence Glucose is known as "Blood sugar".

The Fructose part is processed in your liver using enzymes so no insulin is involved there but it is this fructose element that is often stored away as fat if your body has no immediate need for the energy it provides.

Galactose enters the liver, where it is mainly converted to glucose anyway. Galactose ingestion results in lower blood glucose and insulin levels than glucose ingestion itself.

Now let's look at the other sugars of which there are:

Lactose - a Disaccharide - C12H22O11

Sucrose - a Disaccharide - C12H22O11

Maltose - a Disaccharide - C12H22O11

Disaccharide basically means these molecules have 2 sugars in them which is why the chemical formula is double that of the simple sugars. They break down as follows:

Lactose = glucose + galactose

Sucrose = glucose + fructose

Maltose = glucose + glucose

Lactose of course is naturally found in milk.
Sucrose is common sugar from cane or beets
Maltose is found in germinating seeds

Getting back to our topic of Yoghurt, the amount of "sugars" present is as I have already stated, about 9 teaspoons of it in a 500g pot of Natural Yoghurt. Since yoghurt is a derivative of milk, the sugars here are clearly Lactose.

No other sugars are added but regardless there remain 9 teaspoons of the stuff in the yoghurt.

Anything else you personally add to that yoghurt then ups the sugar content further. For example if you add your own fresh fruit then you are adding more Glucose and Fructose.

What matters is that we eat plenty of fibre when we consume sugars. So if we are going to eat yoghurt I would suggest we mix it with high fibre fruits and other products. Granolas containing oats and nuts and other sources of fibre are good imo.

If I eat yoghurt I eat it with super fruits like cherries, raspberries, blueberries, bananas and often apricots and strawberries to boot. Then I sprinkle home-made granola on top which is easy to make. Mine is made with toasted oats, hazelnuts, almonds, pecans, dried apricots, dried cranberries, chopped dates or figs and coconut oil. So certainly there are sugars in the yoghurt and fruits but equally there's a lot of fibre going in with it.
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 08:58 PM

But you said in your post at 9.54 this morning that the 14 gm was approx 4 teaspoons of sugar , not 9 teaspoons, as stated in your last post.
I would suggest that 4 teaspoons of sugar over 5 servings of yogurt, being less than a teaspoon per serving, is not much at all.
Did you get your figures confused?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 11:24 PM

This thread is fascinating and I'd really like to learn more............

I've found a rich and creamy yoghurt which is great - Lancashire Farm, bio-live cultures, no added sugar.
Per 100g:
80 cal
3.5g fat
of which saturates 2 g
7.0 g carbs
of which sugars 3.7 g
protein 5.2 g
fibre less than .5 g
salt and calcium .2 g each.

One dollop on my porridge for breakfast, eaten with strawberries and grapes, and one dollop on homemade veggie soup.

Surely it can't be all bad...............can it?
Yolande
London, UK

11-08-2017, 09:55 AM

Lancashire Farm yogurt is great. I also like their mango flavour, which does
contain more sugars, so use more sparingly.
Natural bio live yogurt is a superfood in terms of nutrition and as part of a diet.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

11-08-2017, 05:09 PM

But you said in your post at 9.54 this morning that the 14 gm was approx 4 teaspoons of sugar , not 9 teaspoons, as stated in your last post.
I would suggest that 4 teaspoons of sugar over 5 servings of yogurt, being less than a teaspoon per serving, is not much at all.
Did you get your figures confused?
Hi

I cut/pasted the info from one of my posts in another thread as sugar and yoghurt have been debated at length on the forum. Do a search for sugar and posts by myself and you will find them.

The 9 spoonful's of sugar comes from the average 500g pot of Natural Low Fat Yoghurt you find in supermarkets.

Your specific yoghurt contains less and is in a 425g pot.

In terms of your comment about servings, yes, in isolation it's a small amount but the problem is people are not aware.
I mean most dieters I have come across are blissfully unaware that Natural Yoghurt contains any sugar content at all.

This is a much wider problem since probably 80% of all supermarket products contain sugars many of which are hidden or not obvious. A tin of chopped tomatoes for example or at the other extreme a 1 ltr carton of pure freshly squeezed apple juice (21 teaspoons of sugar in that one !!!)

Thus, for the people who are oblivious to the true content of products, the sugars ARE NOT insubstantial. Those people are likely taking in large quantities of the stuff because it's in much of the products they are eating.

This is exactly why Slimming Clubs are useless. They are not educating people properly about food and ingredients and how sugar in particular messes things up. That's why most people fail to keep weight off with these clubs. Their business model is based on repeat attendance.

An example. One well known club has amongst its menus a recipe for Beef Lasagna. The ingredients list looks nice and healthy with lots of fresh vegetables but then comes the main elements for the sauces:

• 400g can chopped tomatoes
• 400g passata
• 500g fat free natural yogurt

If we take those basic supermarket products we find the sugar content is as follows:

• 400g can chopped tomatoes (10.8g)
• 400g passata (23.2g)
• 500g fat free natural yogurt (33g)

So in total that's 67g of sugar or about 17 teaspoonful's

Frankly I don't care much what the actual calorific value is in this recipe. That's NOT a good measure. Calorie counting really isn't helpful because if you're eating a meal that is packed with sugars it is inevitably going to give you an energy crash and make you feel hungry when your body doesn't need food and that's when you start snacking.

This is real food education. It is the understanding of what individual ingredients do to you and how you need to combine them with other foods for the best health results.

Note that the slimming club there doesn't provide the nutritional information for that recipe. That information is vital. You need to know how much sugar is in there and how much fibre. Without that you can't make a judgement on whether it's good or bad.

Slimming clubs generally just give people menus and recipes and a "system" of eating when what they should be doing is just educating people on food and ingredients. People should only need to attend one course of sessions to get that education and then would never need to come back. That however, doesn't bring in the $millions these clubs rake in !
Yolande
London, UK

13-08-2017, 05:47 PM

The cottage cheese also has sugar content and yet it is a very low calorie food, 31 calories per 100gm, and a staple of slimming diets.
So assume the sugars in milk are not like sugar from beet or cane?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top