Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 02:20 PM

Cheddar Man: DNA shows early Briton had dark skin

A cutting-edge scientific analysis shows that a Briton from 10,000 years ago had dark brown skin and blue eyes.

Researchers from London's Natural History Museum extracted DNA from Cheddar Man, Britain's oldest complete skeleton, which was discovered in 1903.

University College London researchers then used the subsequent genome analysis for a facial reconstruction.

It underlines the fact that the lighter skin characteristic of modern Europeans is a relatively recent phenomenon.
Interesting to learn where pale skin came from..

Pale skin probably arrived in Britain with a migration of people from the Middle East around 6,000 years ago. This population had pale skin and brown eyes and absorbed populations like the ones Cheddar Man belonged to.

No-one's entirely sure why pale skin evolved in these farmers, but their cereal-based diet was probably deficient in Vitamin D. This would have required agriculturalists to absorb this essential nutrient from sunlight through their skin.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42939192
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 02:25 PM

Re: Cheddar Man: DNA shows early Briton had dark skin

It underlines the fact that the lighter skin characteristic of modern Europeans is a relatively recent phenomenon.

Ahhhh - so we too are immigrants. I wonder what the 'little englanders' and 'brexiteers' will make of that little gem of information Azz matey???
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Ahhhh - so we too are immigrants. I wonder what the 'little englanders' and 'brexiteers' will make of that little gem of information Azz matey???
As you have stated in previous posts that you voted to leave the EU perhaps you can enlighten us.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
As you have stated in previous posts that you voted to leave the EU perhaps you can enlighten us.
Yes, I voted leave, but then I was opposed to the Common Market in 1971 and voted against when Harold Wilson gave us the referendum in 1976 because, I am an 'Internationalist' and am not confined to a narrow 'Western Europe' club.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 02:44 PM

How can you get from Cheddar Man to Brexit in just four posts!!

Fancy my blue eyes and pale skin came from the Middle East, I thought it was Nordic.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 02:44 PM

Yes, I voted leave, but then I was opposed to the Common Market in 1971 and voted against when Harold Wilson gave us the referendum in 1976 because, I am an 'Internationalist' and am not confined to a narrow 'Western Europe' club.
Yes UJ ... but Harold Wilson wasn't responsible for populating Britain after the last Ice Age and I doubt his policies had much influence either then. Just how old do you think we all are on here?

Fascinating to think in the context of global migration just how early Man got around and where he settled.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Interesting to learn where pale skin came from..
I understand the first human inhabited parts of Africa near the equator and walked across continents and land which was joined together at that time to arrive in Europe.

Their skin may have evolved naturally to contain a certain amount of melanin to help give protection to some (but not all) effects of the sun.

Once they reached the cold northern countries, a darkly pigmented skin would not have been so advantageous and could actually have been a hindrance to absorbing some vitamins.

Natural evolution is a fascinating thing .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 02:51 PM

It is fascinating isn't it though I admit I don't know much about this stuff.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

07-02-2018, 02:51 PM

So did I but that is beside the point here .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

07-02-2018, 02:53 PM

Give him a break ... possibly UJ is thinking back to when we were still joined to the European landmass and he was there .. laying explosives to sever us so we could float away into the Atlantic...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top