Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 09:34 PM

palpitations

Does anyone here suffer palpitations? If so what was the cause?

I have suffered palpitations in the past but not very often but a week last Sunday I had some horrendous palpitations in bed which woke me up and took my breath away.

The following day I was exhausted like I had never felt exhaustion before and could barely even move. I felt too ill to go to the doctors and planned on going the following day which I did.

He sent me for an ecg which showed nothing wrong but I didn't have any palpitations whilst on the ecg anyway. I also had blood tests which the results came back today with no further action required.

I have been having palpitations on an off since a week last Sunday although not on the scale as that attack last sunday night and I feel generally unwell but can't describe how I feel other than I have weird feelings going on in my stomach (not my chest) How I feel is making me feel anxious which makes things worse. My blood pressure is fine although the nurse said my pulse is a little low.

I am going back to the doctors in the morning but I thought I'd run it by you to see if anyone had suffered palpitations and what caused them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 09:50 PM

Re: palpitations

Hiya Queenie, I know these can be caused by worry and stress, or even too much booze can do it with some people.

I expect you have googled around, but have a look at this by the NHS and see if it is any help:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/heart-palpitations/

IU know it's easy to say, but try not to worry or you could make them even worse.
I think you are right going back to the doctor and telling them again though.

Good luck tomorrow.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 10:16 PM

It's a relief that they didn't find Atrial fibrilation but they should have really given you one of those 24 hour holter things to wear so that they can examine any fluctuations.

Have you been drinking enough water during the hot weather? It may have been related to dehydration.

I suffered from palpitations about ten years or more ago. It was following what must have been seratonin syndrome. I took a natural remedy called 5HTP (which I think is the same as melatonin) to help me sleep not realising that my anti histamines acted as a seratonin inhibitor. I woke in the night feeling as though my heart would jump out of my chest. It was really violently hammering. I recovered but I'd get night palps every so often particularly after alcohol. I also had an ECG and the 24 hour test and they found nothing wrong with my heart. After a few months they subsided and now I very rarely ever get palps unless it's an actual panic attack that wakes me.

So I hope yours are just a reaction to something that you haven't identified yet and that they will subside over time. But I think you should ask for the 24 hour monitor because that's a standard test for any unusual heart symptoms that come and go. The worst case scenario is atrial fibrilation which can be controlled with meds or reversed with cardioversion if caught early. You would get exhaustion with AF but you'd probably be tired all the time and finding activity difficult.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 10:21 PM

Hi LQ ask your doctor for a 24 hour monitor. There is a possibility you may have Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation ( P-AF is a type of AF the that comes and goes) which will only show up on an Ecg when you are in AF so it can be difficult to diagnose.

It is really important that your GP checks this out thoroughly, AF carries an increased risk of having a stroke .

If you get an episode again try to stay calm and breath slowly and deeply. There is a link here for you, note the guide to checking your pulse ..

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsu...l-fibrillation

Hopefully, the problem is caused by panic attacks.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 08:44 AM

I have had palpitations on and off for donkey's years. I have no idea what causes them, possibly my anxiety syndrome, but it cant be too serious as I am still here.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I have had palpitations on and off for donkey's years. I have no idea what causes them, possibly my anxiety syndrome, but it cant be too serious as I am still here.
Tara it is a symptom that should never be ignored, many people fail to get it checked and the first time they learn there is a problem is when they have a stroke.

Everyone particularly the over 65s should learn to check their pulse regularly for irregularities.
Knowing your Pulse can save your life.

Information here....

http://www.heartrhythmalliance.org/a...SAAEgIIv_D_BwE

''If you have atrial fibrillation, you are five times more likely to have a stroke. And atrial fibrillation contributes to just under 20% of all strokes in the UK.''
The stroke association
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 09:06 AM

LQ, I have suffered a very fast heartbeat on several occasions in the past ( about 200 beats per min) . On one occasion, a friend took me to A&E, where they did tests that made them think I had heart problems... so referred me to a cardiologist.
When I saw the cardiologist, he said my heart was fine but there was a very minor problem in the lines from my brain to my heart that occasionally caused my heart beat at the wrong rate.
The 3 choices for treatment were....
1) a small operation at a local hospital.

2) do nothing, but go to A&E when it happened for an injected drug to correct it. ( I had these on other occasions, but it is difficult to breathe for a few second, so frightening)

3) take a very small dose of Beta blocker 1.25mg.

I chose the Beta blocker & I have never had the problem since!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

31-07-2019, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I chose the Beta blocker & I have never had the problem since!
Hi Twink many people with an arrhythmia do not have any noticeable symptoms, that is one reason why people should check their pulse regularly for any irregularities.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Twink many people with an arrhythmia do not have any noticeable symptoms, that is one reason why people should check their pulse regularly for any irregularities.
Meg I have a BP machine that also counts my pulse....that is how I knew it had gone up to 200 beats per minute.... but thanks for mentioning it!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 10:37 AM

LQ I hope you get this sorted before your coming holiday .
Don’t forget if you’re in the process of having tests you should reveal it to your travel insurance provider .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top