Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 07:55 AM

Re: Waking up in the night?

We don't get any sleep, we are up six times in the night with the Cat screaming, go downstairs into the Kitchen with her and she has done nothing, back to bed again, 1 hr. later, Scream, Scream, Scream up we get again.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 08:17 AM

Hi Annie. You are not alone. I often wake up at 4.00am and can't get back to sleep. In the end I get up, make a drink, lie on the settee & read a book. I may just start to nod off when it's time to get up.

When I get desperate for a good nights sleep I take a Nytol tablet but I try not to take them too often.

I believe with women it's a hormonal thing because until I went through the menopause I could sleep 10 hours a night solid.

You get used to it eventually...
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 09:32 AM

I have to admit that I sleep a lot better with the dogs here as I cuddle up with them both.
I also have afternoon naps with them when I get really tired.

I'm sometimes in bed by 8:30pm and although I may get up once sometimes twice to go to the loo Im usually able to sleep till 6:30.
If I do wake up during the night I try to avoid getting up.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 09:35 AM

I’m lucky if I can manage 4 hours sleep a night, I have to get up most nights or I’m tossing and turning all night.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 09:36 AM

Our body clock (circadian rhythm) is very finely balanced so easily upset. We often don't help ourselves with watching TV or being on computers almost right up until we turn in for the night. Use of these needs to be taken into account and reduced or stopped for a while leading up to going to bed. Also eating and drinking late is another reason for not sleeping well. What we have on our minds, stress and worry, are probably one of the worst for an interrupted sleep. It's all very difficult to control as our sleep is in varying patterns and at certain times a very light sleep can easily be interrupted so we are awake early.

I wish I had the answer as my sleep varies between managing to get about four or five hours through to sleeping solid for eight or nine hours. That is due to my body clock being shot to pieces by working permanent night shifts for over 20 years. Those finished over 20 years' ago but my body still prefers to sleep during the day and stay awake all night.

Something I have found that helps is exercise and fresh air during the day. Some work out in the garden or going for a regular walk each day seems to induce a better, restful sleep and for more hours too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Good morning Summer! Sorry you suffer with this too but so glad to have you here

Well I'm on Netflix watching Sex Education starring Gillian Anderson which is surprisingly good.

Do you ever wake with palpitations? I did tonight. So I wonder if it's down to not drinking enough water in the day? It's so frustrating to be out like a light and then waking 3-4 hours later.

I'm going to take a Kalms night and wait for it to kick in.
Hi Annie I would urge you to go and see your GP asap, waking at night and with palpitations can indicate you have an arrhythmia . Check your pulse when it happens and record it also note if it is regular or irregular.

If you do wake at night best not to watch tv or worse use a laptop, try reading a book or do a boring task like ironing for a little while then try to sleep again.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 01:15 PM

One thing I find helps me fall back to sleep, is reminding myself that resting is nearly as good as sleeping

So I make myself comfortable ready for a relaxing rest...
Preparing to think happy thoughts..
And most of the time I'm back in the land of nod before I know it
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Annie I would urge you to go and see your GP asap, waking at night and with palpitations can indicate you have an arrhythmia . Check your pulse when it happens and record it also note if it is regular or irregular.

If you do wake at night best not to watch tv or worse use a laptop, try reading a book or do a boring task like ironing for a little while then try to sleep again.
Meg the GP did listen to my heart a couple of weeks ago and didn't seem too concerned. She was more worried about the cough I've had for nearly three months. I'm meant to go for a chest x ray if it doesn't go in a couple of weeks.

You're so right about TV and laptop usage but we are kind of hinged to all this technology it's so hard to just be still and quiet.

Getting older is no fun at all...!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
One thing I find helps me fall back to sleep, is reminding myself that resting is nearly as good as sleeping

So I make myself comfortable ready for a relaxing rest...
Preparing to think happy thoughts..
And most of the time I'm back in the land of nod before I know it
Rhian that sounds lovely.

I think all your swimming helps. I used to go all the time but my local health clubs became too run down for me to bother and I cancelled the membership. But I used to sleep so much better in those days. Maybe I should go back to gentle yoga which I had to stop after the frozen shoulder last year.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Rhian that sounds lovely.

I think all your swimming helps. I used to go all the time but my local health clubs became too run down for me to bother and I cancelled the membership. But I used to sleep so much better in those days. Maybe I should go back to gentle yoga which I had to stop after the frozen shoulder last year.
Ooh yes do Annie!
I suppose swimming does help
And a hard day's slog in front of kids and books and computer screebs!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top