Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 10:58 AM

'Brexit Diet'

If there actually are shortages of fresh fruit and veg initially how will you manage an healthy diet? (and possibly other food stuffs part of our usual weekly diets)

I've stocked up on tinned fruit (not keen on dried fruits) I think the tinned fruit that is in the fruits own natural juices rather than 'syrup' contains less sugar.

Thinking of adding a tin of jackfruit to my next shop to try after seeing someone doing a 'jackfruit curry' on tv ..with frozen cauliflower rice.

I already prefer to get frozen veg so often have bags of frozen garden peas, broccoli, mixed veg, spinach, casserole veg, 'bean mixes' (different kinds of beans kidney, butter etc with potato and green beans in) in the freezer anyway.

Will probably add things like pre-diced frozen onions and mushrooms (which I'd normally get fresh) and some frozen fruit. Might also add more frozen potato products as I'd usually get fresh and make my own chips and mash.

Might get a third freezer! but I want to see how likely powercuts are going to be to mainland UK after brexit. Wondering if that one Friday was a govt test run! (to see how systems transport etc and the public coped with the disruption).

As I'm mostly housebound and disabled the last thing I want to be doing is leaving things too late then getting beaten up in the local supermarket (or mugged on the way back) cos I managed to get the last tin of beans and bread! ..you know what it's like as soon as a snowflake falls!! (mad dash to nearest shop to buy up all the bread and milk!)...imagine if we actually had SNOW AND BREXIT going on at the same time!!!

Remember winter of 2010? We had snow early before christmas that year I was snowed in 2 weeks solid up here! ..was seriously considering trading my scooter in for a pack of huskies and a sled!!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 11:01 AM

Re: 'Brexit Diet'

Project Fear Alert^^^^^^
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 11:17 AM

More Project Fear propaganda putting out the frighteners.

France has already stated that French officials will be in place to keep everything going through Calais.
More Border Force, HMRC and customs staff at channel ports should keep traffic moving. Also, EU goods are set to be waved through British ports if we leave without a deal - to avoid massive traffic jams and build-ups.

Susan, I certainly wouldn't panic about food shortages. The scare stories were started by treacherous pillocks like Philiip Hammond and his supporters, and since aided and abetted by their public mouthpiece, the BBC and other pro-Remain supporting media.

Boris is having to organise in three short months, what that slug above refused to do for the past three years. I wish him all the best wishes to get it done. So far, he is doing things right and looking at all eventualities. Food shortages will not be one of them.
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Project Fear Alert^^^^^^
no just wondering... there seems to be a lot more in the papers about food recently with food companies asking govt to allow companies to share resources as apparently they're not allowed due to some 'competitive law'? (which I'd never heard of).

Some of us have to plan for other reasons anyway (cuts to income, food deliveries getting cancelled due to bad weather - especially if you live very rural and get cut off every winter anyway if snow is heavy).

Guess I thought there'd be more vulnerable older adults or pensioners (on this site as its for over 50's) who may be alone and can't get out in winter either to get food or cash, who maybe worried about brexit making things even harder for them???
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Susan68 ->
Remember winter of 2010? We had snow early before christmas that year I was snowed in 2 weeks solid up here! ..was seriously considering trading my scooter in for a pack of huskies and a sled!!
Remember winter of 1963?

https://asenseofplace.com/2013/01/19...-of-snow-1963/

“Many think back to January 1963, said to have been the coldest month of the 20th century. The temperature fell below freezing on December 22, 1962 and, incredibly, hardly got past zero until early March 1963. That winter, mini icebergs appeared in the Mersey and it was safe to skate on park lakes. In the more rural areas of Merseyside and West Lancashire, snowploughs had to be used, as snow was higher than hedgerows with drifts still visible in the April.”

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 11:22 AM

If there actually are shortages of fresh fruit and veg initially how will you manage an healthy diet? (and possibly other food stuffs part of our usual weekly diet

Fear not, if Brexit ever happens I shall produce many more helpful videos in my "Surviving Brexit" series. We'll get you through this.

Susan68
Up North, UK

11-08-2019, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Remember winter of 1963?

https://asenseofplace.com/2013/01/19...-of-snow-1963/

I wasn't born in 1963! Though I did grow up in a tiny village that was much more isolated and got cut off most winters in the 70's when I was growing up. I remember walking home from school with the snow right up to my welly tops!!! no buses running, & village lanes leading to nearest town cut off and no power! (we had a coal fire and camping stoves though) Thankfully everyone in my family were all fully fit and mobile back then!! .. my dad had an allotment too back then so we had food in storage from a 'good crop' the previous summer! my mum was good at pickling, making jams and baking and stuff.
Susan68
Up North, UK

11-08-2019, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Fear not, if Brexit ever happens I shall produce many more helpful videos in my "Surviving Brexit" series. We'll get you through this.

well providing we have power yes I do eat beans and toast!

I do like to try and eat healthily though being mostly vegetarian that usually involves an ample amount of fresh fruit and veg every week!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 11:44 AM

I wasn't born in 1963!
Well, it was really cold for a long time:

The winter of 1963 - the coldest for more than 200 years

With temperatures so cold the sea froze in places, 1963 is one of the coldest winters on record. Bringing blizzards, snow drifts, blocks of ice, and temperatures lower than -20 °C, it was colder than the winter of 1947, and the coldest since 1740.

For most people, there there was no double glazing, central heating or thermal underwear just wellies and a woolly hat .....
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 11:46 AM

My goodness, I well remember the snow of 1963. Especially my Dad and brothers having to shovel snow from the front door that was already about 6ft drifts. They eventually made a pathway down the garden path where the shovelled snow was now 6ft solid walls either side of the garden path. One had to look up to see the top of the snow. It was really really bad. The shops had a field day selling out of wellingtons and shovels. In our house, we had no central heating, just open fireplaces, one in the front room, one in the kitchen and one in the main bedroom. Luckily, Dad being a Miner working on the coalface, we had a free lorry load of coal every so often so we could afford to have the home fires burning brightly. We also made sure everyone in the cul de sac also had plenty of coal as well. There was plenty of community spirit back then.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top