Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 02:58 PM

Re: Windows 10 is driving me nuts!

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Win10 is the biggest pile of dogsh*t ever invented. How the so called 'IT Experts' can get away with it is beyond me. If it was a car it would have closed the factory (remember the Allegro).
Now just hold on a minute old son.....
I had two.....Yes TWO Allegros and they were a piece of pi$$ to work on. Saved me pounds doing my own servicing and stuff.... And did you also know Longy......That Allegro means 'Quickly' in Italian..... Well! nobody's perfect....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
At this rate I'll be getting my old laptop fired up, it's held together with sellotape but heyho needs must!
Once you can sort out all the crap and stop any outside interference TessA, windows 10 isn't so bad.....
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 05:12 PM

I find Win 10 very good a lot better than Vista and Win 7.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Yep it's a colossal pain. Oh for those simple Windows 7/ XP days. Trouble is they don't work anymore because unless you don't use the internet at all they stop working properly if you don't update.
Not true at all

All my laptops and netbooks are Windows 7 and they are only used for surfing the internet and buying things. Windows updates were disabled from the get go. I NEVER update them. If I had allowed updates then I would have gotten the despicable update that MS put out to force people to upgrade to W10.

I have no problems at all using Win 7. It's a brilliant O/S and leaves the USER in control rather than MS.

My wife has W10 for her work laptop and it's absolutely awful. MS is in control. You can delay updates but not disable them. Not for me. Win 7 was the last real O/S. Everything now will just be more and more global control and the O/S's become more and more app selling platforms.

Out of interest if anyone has a proper copy of Windows 7 (any version but OEM) then I'd be interested to make an offer for it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 07:16 PM

No problems at all with a Mac
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Coincidentally I was just thinking the same earlier, all that hassle with Microsoft. I've been on Macs since the early 1980s and they just go on and on, trouble-free. Updates are available at times but the option to download them or not is always given. Upgrades from one operating system to the latest are free of charge and usually without problems.

I agree with anyone who says they cost more but my experience is that is well-worth it to be hassle-free. They last longer and are, or so it seems, far easier to use generally.

The giveaway with the Macs versus Windows situation is that most who go over to Macs do not usually wish to return to Windows. The reverse however, sees people who just cannot wait to get back on a Mac.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-08-2019, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I find Win 10 very good a lot better than Vista and Win 7.
I find Windows 10 suitable for my purpose, however, I had to delete the Office 360 because they seemed to want to rent it to me and wanted to charge an annual subscription so I loaded an old copy of microsoft office student......Perfect.

I also prefer to use Microsoft Office Picture Manager as opposed to Microsoft Connect.....And I've kicked Cortana into the long grass......
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Coincidentally I was just thinking the same earlier, all that hassle with Microsoft. I've been on Macs since the early 1980s and they just go on and on, trouble-free. Updates are available at times but the option to download them or not is always given. Upgrades from one operating system to the latest are free of charge and usually without problems.

I agree with anyone who says they cost more but my experience is that is well-worth it to be hassle-free. They last longer and are, or so it seems, far easier to use generally.

The giveaway with the Macs versus Windows situation is that most who go over to Macs do not usually wish to return to Windows. The reverse however, sees people who just cannot wait to get back on a Mac.
The man who should know is at this link:-

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/4/15...-figures-stats

He is saying that there are 400 million W10 users, worldwide whilst there are 100 million Macs.

What he doesn't mention is that you can, probably, buy 3 W10 PCs for the cost of one Mac!

Since the hardware inside a pc/Mac is virtually the same, the box is not the issue - but the cost of the software is.

I've never quite understood why MS haven't gone with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach possibly they had to keep updating because the Hackers/virus writers have always favoured going for the biggest volume.

One other thought is that those who experience problems with updates are not necessarily the ones in all of those companies with PC management/fixing skills built on on site.

Maybe the ones who struggle are not the professional people with the skills.

You rarely hear of many problems coming back from the big users.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I read this all the time, so it must be true for most Mac users. However, if you type into a search engine such terms as: 'mac awful - mac crap - macs suck' there really isn't any shortage of complaints about Macs. If there were as many Mac users as Windows users, there might be as many listings and complaints about Macs as there are about Windows.

I think what it amounts to is that, if the computer runs properly, people will rarely mention that in Internet forums and articles. They only write if there is trouble with the computer, whether it's a Microsoft or Apple system.

For every person grumbling about Windows or Mac, there must be many thousands more who are using these systems with with no trouble at all. I'm one of those people as regards Windows 10 but I know there are a percentage of users who get troubles ..and those are the only ones we hear/read about.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 11:47 PM

My new second-hand refurbished PC came with Win 10 professional and first thing I did was get rid of all the bloat including that ridiculous `live desktop` feature, stopped all the ETs and disabled auto-update. It's now set to inform me of updates only and I decide what to update, not M$

The `Start` bar now works like my old copy of Win 7 and is faster as a consequence.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top