Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 08:18 PM

Diabetes Thread

This is a forum for people with Diabetes to have a chat about their problems.

I will start.

I have been Diabetic for 24 years now, I am Type 1, Insulin dependant, inject twice a day also take four Metformin tablets twice a day. I have started having complications, I have numbness in my toes and have haemorrhaging in my right eye due to my Diabetes. My sugar level is 8 and my cholestral is 4.0.

I must try to eat more healthy but I do not have any will power.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 09:32 PM

Re: Diabetes Thread

I was diagnosed with type two last year and have managed with diet to get it under control. Lost 3 stones too which helps I am told. Basically I got the will power when I realised how much better I felt as soon as I stopped eating sugary things, more energy, less down and tired.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
This is a forum for people with Diabetes to have a chat about their problems.

I will start.

I have been Diabetic for 24 years now, I am Type 1, Insulin dependant, inject twice a day also take four Metformin tablets twice a day. I have started having complications, I have numbness in my toes and have haemorrhaging in my right eye due to my Diabetes. My sugar level is 8 and my cholestral is 4.0.

I must try to eat more healthy but I do not have any will power.
My Dad had type 1 Diabetes, he was diagnosed age 21 and lived to be 89 having been told he would not see his 22nd birthday .
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2013, 11:09 PM

I have a follow up blood test on Friday having been told my sugar level is too high. I am not diabetic yet but apparently I am "borderline" Trying to cut down on chocolate is my biggest problem but I no longer take sugar in my tea/coffee.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 07:47 AM

Hi, the thing is I have never had sugar on anything all my life, I have never been the one for cakes, biscuits or puddings, yet I am Diabetic and it doesn't run in the family. The only thing I do eat wrong is buttered hot cross buns and I might have a large bag of crisps at night while watching the soaps, so i'm going to have to cut them out as I've got to go for my blood test on Friday and I know it's going to be bad.

When you go on the internet, if you click on Diabetes.uk, you can download a cookery book for free, I've already done it. Try it. SusieJ xx
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 09:18 AM

Two type 2 diabetics here.
Hubby injects insulin twice a day, takes Metformin and Pioglitazone. The insulin is a combined one of two types.
Me, I take 5 Metformin a day.
We eat small amounts of chocolate, after a meal. (if we feel like it)

No diabetics in our family either.
Neither of us have taken sugar in tea or coffee, ever.
We don't buy fizzy drinks, or drink alcohol.

We both feel that you shouldn't worry about it - it's no different to having a thyroid condition (which I have) or blood pressure (which hubby has)
He has cholesterol problems and arthritis in the spine too - we take one day at a time - and enjoy our life.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 09:26 AM

I have type 2 diabetes diagnosed one year ago. I was 18 stone. I am now down to 15 stone, I am 6ft 2 inches tall.

I had been very good on my diet, so good that I started eating rubbish again & my sugar shot up to 22 & more.

I am down to 12 atmo & struggling to get it down further. I spend most of the day parched,drinking water & peeing.

I should know better cos when the diabetes kicks in my Parkinsons goes AWOL.

Helpful to read other folks thoughts, thankyou Sue.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 01:01 PM

Steve( OH) has type i and has insulin, metformin etc, he had ulcers on his feet which have just about healed now after 3 yrs of thrice weekly home nurse visits and just last Xmas had to have 3 toes removed as blood wasn't going to his foot properly, be very watchful Susie ,any tingling, loss of sensation must be seen to immediately.
Steve also has cancer and his weakened immune system slowed down the ulcer treatment but they're very difficult to heal anyway, good luck with your management and take care
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2013, 02:34 PM

I have found it's not just about sugar in coffee etc or even sugary treats and cake I have had to cut my carbohydrates to see a real difference in my blood sugars, I can either have two slices wholemeal bread in the morning or 100g of potatoes for dinner not both on one day.

May help those struggling to try a low carb diet as well as cutting out sugar...
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK

30-05-2013, 03:25 PM

Thank you all for your comments.

This week I have been a little bit naughty, but I can't seem to get my sugar levels down now, all I have had today was a small bowl of porridge for breakfast and a cup of tea, I took my finger prick test at 2pm and it was still reading 10.1, I have now had some lunch, so it will be even higher now, I will not be having any Insulin until 6pm tonight which I will then have a very light supper.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top