Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 12:47 PM

Re: English: Should doctors speak it?

It seems that doctors do as they please, our cat gets better treatment. I do worry whether foreign trained doctors are vetted before they start work.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 01:12 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profess...essments_Board

It would seem that only doctors from the EU and Switzerland are not assessed regarding their English language skills. Though I would have thought that with EU doctors this could be assessed at interview.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
It seems that doctors do as they please, our cat gets better treatment. I do worry whether foreign trained doctors are vetted before they start work.
Are you a Daily Mail reader, by any chance?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 01:15 PM

As Rena stated - all Doctors now practising here, have to pass a 'test' in English before they are allowed to practice. Such regulation arose following a tragic case of a Woman who died following a mis-diagnosis and mis prescription of medicine by a German Doctor who was brought over to cover 'out of hours'. His command of the English language was highhly suspect to say the least and there was an almighty row about the matter at the time - about 6 years ago as I recall.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 01:18 PM

Read them all.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

13-06-2013, 01:20 PM

Also, if you read the article posted by Rena you will see that the doctor involved was refused work by one area because of his poor English skills, and then Cambridgeshire allowed him to work. It appears that the disintegrating NHS and its managers in some areas just want to get medical bums on seats rather than champion good care.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 01:43 PM

'Should doctors speak English?'...Why?...They haven't been able to write it for years
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 02:52 PM

Tell me about it, I worked as a dispenser for years, I can read most scribble now!
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

13-06-2013, 04:27 PM

doesn't anyone figure out what is going on - England has been sucked into the ECU - standards have fallen - the NHS which was good if not high standard has fallen - it will take anyone to fill a gap - I observed foreign doctors and surgeons messing up in the 70's but at least they were being supervised and pulled back before any real damage was done - NHS pts beware - trust at your peril! you are sicking to a level of 'we don't care'
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 04:31 PM

We're all going to move down under with you then. By the way we have lots of your vets here do you want them back?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top