Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 04:45 PM

Re: English: Should doctors speak it?

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I saw a topic on "The Wright Stuff" TV show page about whether or not foreign doctors working here should be able to speak English. It struck me as odd that anyone should be able to get such a job without knowing the language. The scenario that came to my mind was of an ill person performing "charades", pointing and making faces to try to convey what's wrong. Even if they could speak English the amount of technical, medical language they would have to know would be phenomenal wouldn't it? Sounds like mistakes could be made. What do you think?
I used to be an avid watcher of The Wright Stuff till that Wright bloke seriously got on my nerves - only his opinion counted so what was the point of the panel? He was also very rude to callers so I stopped watching. One thing I do remember was that he was quite keen on over-egging the pudding
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not only should they be able to speak it they should be able to understand and also able to make them selves understood.
That, for me, is one of the main problems; they're speaking English but their accent can be so strong that it can be impossible to understand what they're saying.

Related topic is should they be able to perform a proper examination ? one of our GP's will not touch women, not even accidental hand touching, nurses take blood and blood pressure as his religion/culture means he will not touch a woman other than his wife.
I was watching The Big Questions a couple of weeks ago and it was stated that one of the female researchers was very offended when one of the male speakers refused to shake her hand - he was Jewish and apparently, that's part of their culture: the touching of a woman could be misconstrued!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

13-06-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
It seems that doctors do as they please, our cat gets better treatment. I do worry whether foreign trained doctors are vetted before they start work.
I have often said that and it's true - my dogs are seen quicker and dealt with more promptly and efficiently than the health service for people. I've even teased the vet asking her to study human anatomy as well she won't though
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

13-06-2013, 04:50 PM

Furthermore, given the level of unemployment in Britain - why aren't our own wanting to train as doctors?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 04:55 PM

That's exactly the point I brought up! Nursing too, kids don't seem to be going in for it! A person responded & said they're all going overseas for more money when they qualify. Perhaps they should have to agree to stay here for so many years afterwards or pay back all their student loans.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 05:02 PM

Just a point here, it is Orthodox Jews (men and women) that don't shake hands. Not all Jews.
If a doctor turned up at my home and couldn't speak English, I'd make a call for another doctor..failing that, I'd call for an ambulance.
The doctors that qualify and go abroad, are all in Australia!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

13-06-2013, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
That's exactly the point I brought up! Nursing too, kids don't seem to be going in for it! A person responded & said they're all going overseas for more money when they qualify. Perhaps they should have to agree to stay here for so many years afterwards or pay back all their student loans.
I thought that had been brought in after that one set of qualifying students pretty much all promptly went off abroad so I think they may have a given time that they have to work in Britain.

On the other hand, my brother's daughter is a qualified nurse and she moved to Britain from Australia! The girl must be mad
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

13-06-2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Just a point here, it is Orthodox Jews (men and women) that don't shake hands. Not all Jews.
If a doctor turned up at my home and couldn't speak English, I'd make a call for another doctor..failing that, I'd call for an ambulance.
I'd like to think I would do that but maybe we worry about offending them? If it was an emergency, then I would request someone else.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2013, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I'd like to think I would do that but maybe we worry about offending them? If it was an emergency, then I would request someone else.
Let's be honest, most of us only call a doctor out in an emergency - you are worried enough under the circumstances - and not being able to understand them or them you, dreadful.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

13-06-2013, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Let's be honest, most of us only call a doctor out in an emergency - you are worried enough under the circumstances - and not being able to understand them or them you, dreadful.
I was thinking about the old dear a few door up from me who has someone come in to give her her injections and other medication. But you are right, it would only be emergencies for most of us.

Maybe it's time some incentives were given for our own youngsters to train up instead.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top