Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 01:26 AM

Still Up!

but have now managed wind down enough for sleep!
Yr 11 Prom was tonight

A difficult year group re: teaching but a lovely sociable bunch to be Form Teachers to
They spontaneously hugged us all as they left.
They were so, so grateful

I'm not a great believer in us adopting American high school proms traditions

But this one made us Tutors believe it was as much about us as it was them
And that's rare nowadays x
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 02:04 AM

Re: Still Up!

You should be hugged and graciously thanked. Teaching is an important role in the lives of our children and we all count on you to educate these youngsters

Good for you Rhian. A job well done.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 04:10 AM

Is it end of term already?

I have never understood why a dance should be referred to as a 'prom'. I thought that was an abbreviation of 'Promenade', which means 'walk'.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 05:09 AM

How nice, Rhian! I used to say that we were paid in moments like the one you describe.

The prom is called a prom here because in the early days, the dance would involve the senior class promenading in front of the other guests.

While they have their problems (ridiculous sums of money spent, broken hearts, alcohol, and a few babies conceived that result in quick weddings after graduation), proms here are important rights of passage in which girls wear their first floor length formals, boys wear their first tuxedos and learn how to select corsages, and all of the teens are all terribly awkward and excited. For many, it's their first night out with no curfew (some organizations offer the kids middle of the night breakfasts).

Well done, Rhian .
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 07:22 AM

Following on from Surfermom's post, in a lot of cultures, people would dress up on all sorts of occasions, and stroll up and down showing off their best clothes, etc.

The film "Easter Bonnet" with Judy Garland, illustrated that custom.

I know that in Italy, in the olden days, girls used to link arms in a wide row, and walk up and down the road in the village, in their Sunday best, after church, to be gawped at by the available young men of the area.

Promenading.

Same sort of thing, on a cheaper scale, I suppose!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 07:37 AM

Nice word Gawping Pyxell, Lasses liked to be Gawped at if I remember right.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 07:55 AM

Sounds like you had a wonderful night, it's lovely to know you are appreciated, deservedly so, you do acdsmn good job, Rhi, x
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 04:59 PM

Sounds like it was good evening Rhian.

My grandson has his Prom next Thursday, i’ve had a peep of him in his new posh suit and realise how grown up he is now. He’s 16 and 6ft 2in
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 06:06 PM

It's 60 years since I left school, (1959), and in those days we just 'left', no dance evening to celebrate, just left and never returned! I half expected someone from the school enquiring why I hadn't gone back after the summer holiday...
That was my naive reaction to a non-event,...
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2019, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Sounds like it was good evening Rhian.

My grandson has his Prom next Thursday, i’ve had a peep of him in his new posh suit and realise how grown up he is now. He’s 16 and 6ft 2in
We had a quite a few 6ft plusers in our year too Mags
Must have been something in the water!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top