Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 01:32 PM

Overactive Bladder Syndrome

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Over...r-Syndrome.htm

This link has proven very helpful to me. I have suffered with myi overactive bladder now for a couple of years. I take medication but I have found the retraining of your bladder to be helpful
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 01:40 PM

Re: Overactive Bladder Syndrome

Mother has this condition too, so your link is very helpful. Thanks Cate
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 02:03 PM

They say 1 in 6 adults have this syndrome both men and women are affected. I thought it was my age, weight and the fact that I had had three large babies that caused my problem and just accepted it. Then I spoke to my doctor and he gave me some medication which I take at night.

After my hysterectomy I was hoping things would improve but the surgeon said my bladder was fine and just needed retraining.

By the way Tenna Lady do some free offers of incontinent pads if your mum needs that support.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 02:50 PM

Interesting Cate

Go to the toilet only when you need to. Some people get into the habit of going to the toilet more often than they need. They may go when their bladder only has a small amount of urine so as "not to be caught short". This again may sound sensible, as some people think that symptoms of an overactive bladder will not develop if the bladder does not fill very much and is emptied regularly. However, again, this can make symptoms worse in the long run. If you go to the toilet too often the bladder becomes used to holding less urine. The bladder may then become even more sensitive and overactive at times when it is stretched a little. So, you may find that when you need to hold on a bit longer (for example, if you go out), symptoms are worse than ever.
Oh dear I have a slight problem and seem to go to spend a penny every couple of hours and at least twice in the night.

I fear I have made this worse by going 'just in case' whenever I pass the loo I think I better stop this and make myself wait longer.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

03-02-2012, 02:56 PM

But I do that too Meg, especially if I am going out, I am trying to make my bladder hold on and I am drinking more water and that is certainly helping, to be honest I feel so much better so I think I was a bit dehydrated.

It seems odd that the things we have been doing to help the situation drinking less and just in casing has made the situation worse.

Anyway am trying to retrain my bladder which isn't as easy as training the dog.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
But I do that too Meg, especially if I am going out, I am trying to make my bladder hold on and I am drinking more water and that is certainly helping, to be honest I feel so much better so I think I was a bit dehydrated.

It seems odd that the things we have been doing to help the situation drinking less and just in casing has made the situation worse.

Anyway am trying to retrain my bladder which isn't as easy as training the dog.
Cate I drink a fair amount, I have had a lot of problems with cystitis so am aware how important it is to drink plenty to 'flush' things through.

Something I have joked about, other people have problems giving a 'sample', I can go anywhere any time
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

03-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Me too. I am often reminded of when I had my babies.
The nurses would run a tap to make you 'go' now fountains, gurggling streams and running taps can get me running to the loo
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 04:55 PM

A great link thanks a lot for posting it. I was always making night trips but now if I go to bed around 11pm I can usually last till betweeen 5 and 6am. I drink as normal through the day but I drink nothing after 6pm. If I do go down the Pub with my Friend I only have one small drink, but that's not often as neither of us are Drinkers and prefer to be out and about in the nicer Evenings.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 05:11 PM

Very interesting article. Fortunately, I don't suffer but it is useful to know about for future reference... and will be forwarding to ladies of my acquaintance. Thanks cate
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

03-02-2012, 06:55 PM

I am pleased that this might prove helpful.

For a long time my mother in law would not go out with us in the car and I noticed she never finished a cup of tea, one day I asked her and she said that she was in constant fear of wetting herself. When I told her that I felt that way myself often she was very surprised as she thought it was her age.

She was getting seriously dehydrated to the extent of becoming forgetful and confused in the late evening.

I hope this link will help people to understand the really debilitating syndrome.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top