Join for free
Page 382 of 1676 « First < 282 332 372 380 381 382 383 384 392 432 482 882 1382 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 10:17 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
The tale of the tail-less horse.

Many years ago I made a brace of traditionally hand carved rocking horses for each of my two boys. Having talked about this at work, my team leader told me had an old toy rocking horse made in the sixties, saying he would like it to go to a good home and would I restore it and give it to charity.

Well, our youngest decided to "help" as kids do, took it apart, started sanding it down, and then lost interest. Now, a few years later I have finally got round to restoring it myself.
I've got the base, which needs bits replacing, the "stirrups" that bolt direct to the body, the horse itself, the swing irons that allow it to swing but not the brackets that hold them to the base, and the mane, but no tail.

I can replace the cross pieces on the base without problem. I can make new swing iron brackets by bending some iron on my trusty anvil, for I have an "ology" in metalwork, but I cannot for the life of me work out how to replace the tail.

The hosses I made had real hosshair manes and tails, but this toy version has a mane that looks like a very small rug, stitched on the back and fluffy on the top.
I have yet to find anything that will match the mane, which I would like to re-use as I want to keep the horse as original as possible.

Now, my Auntie/MiL has a small black poodle and its fur exactly matches the mane, but she is reluctant to let me shear it to make a poodle-hair horse tail. In light of her intransigence, what can I use to make a substitute tail?
I am thinking I might have to trawl local charity shops to find a fake-fur or fake fur collared coat.
All because our youngest decided to "help." *sigh*
Any dog grooming shops near you FC? Maybe they would save all the clippings from black dogs for you
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 10:28 PM

ladies hairdressers??
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 10:38 PM

I listen to the radio
Here and there throughout the day
I’ve ‘given away’ the TV
Cos it takes the views away
Today I listened to the news
In Jerusalem they’ve got the blues
And watched the dogs chase kangaroos
They always get away!

You’d think with this the mind would wander
But just the oppo it’s all a wonder
I can listen to to the world afar
And split the senses near and far
TV’s a drug that saps the mind
Turns us to zombies of different kinds??
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
ladies hairdressers??
Shaving from hairy legs, men's if you have to.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 11:54 PM

It would be a fool who would not trade, a bit of pet hair, for the promise of some Rocking Horse Shite.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 12:17 AM

Having made three rocking horses, I can say that those who say something is as rare as rocking horse poo have never been to my house.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 12:28 AM

Fruitisimo-have you any stables near you?
One of the tasks I frequently have to do for the memsaib is trim her horse's hooves and mane. The trimmings all go for making glue. [there are several horses there,so although it takes a while to fill the canister,it is actually worthwhile,as the proceeds go to a horse charity] The mane trimmings mostly go to a charitable foundation that makes wigs for people undergoing chemo,as it's most visible side-effect is hair loss. So it may be worth asking if you could have some...they'll be happy to help once you explain why.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

10-12-2017, 02:06 AM

Having made three rocking horses, I can say that those who say something is as rare as rocking horse poo have never been to my house.
do they poo at stationary position or on a forward or backward rock?? just asking!
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 09:17 AM

Rare? I'll tell you whats rare!

Getting a person to team up with me as the back end of a PANTO HORSE. I used to do it for charity events but these days its hopeless recruiting.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Jnr. ->
Rare? I'll tell you whats rare!

Getting a person to team up with me as the back end of a PANTO HORSE. I used to do it for charity events but these days its hopeless recruiting.
I think you should stop asking the recruitment question "Where do you see yourself in five years time".

Page 382 of 1676 « First < 282 332 372 380 381 382 383 384 392 432 482 882 1382 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top