Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2019, 06:20 PM

Re: Have You Had a Cold this Winter?

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I have been doing that UJ!
I also have Chloraseptic throat spray, nasal spray, Jakemans honey and lemon sweets, lip balm, tcp to gargle with, Vicks to rub on, Olbas Oil. You name it I have taken it, no change.
Went to the Vets for Dolly's flea drops and popped in Sainsbury's, by the time I got home I was boiling.
Going back to bed now
Yes Gravitas, nosel squirts do help.
There comes a point where you have to wake up and realise that all these pills, potions and pharma remedies are just BS. They are designed to make you feel better about yourself during the illness, but they don't help or cure the illness at all. Honey and lemon sweets are pure sugar. As such they trigger the pleasure receptors in the brain and make you feel happier. Unfortunately sugar is harmful to us and will serve only to make you stay sick longer and make things more severe.

Taking paracetamol is extremely unwise. We have been conditioned (brainwashed) into thinking that such remedies are good and right for colds and flu. Most of the cold/flu remedies (capsules, syrups etc) are loaded with paracetamol or neurofen.

The whole thing is just b*ll*cks and HARMFUL to you.

Taking paracetamol literally obstructs your body's own healing systems. It stops the body from being able to create and sustain the fever. The fever IS VITAL to stop the bugs from multiplying. By taking paracetamols you deprived your own body of its primary defense mechanism. As a result the bugs will have been free to replicate to alarming levels making everything more severe and then assuring that your condition will last far far longer than it otherwise would have.

My advice.

STOP taking the stupid potions, pills, syrups and so on.

Let your body create the fever (it might already be too late)

Go to bed, sweat out the fever. Listen to your body.

Let your body do its thing.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2019, 06:27 PM

Medicines just do not work. It's the biggest money making racket there is.
Hot drinks, stay warm and eat properly.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2019, 07:33 PM

10 day's mine's lasted ,yesterday was the first day I wasn't having coughing fits. The fact that the cough loosens is a good sign you're on the mend.
I havn't taken any pills or potions. Just sucked on a Jakemans Lemon Menthol if I felt I needed a deep breath.
It's been a stinker tho.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2019, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
In order to loosen mucus (sorry ladies) I'm wonder if a medicine might help. It seems nasal sprays are good?

Any thoughts?
Inhale inhale inhale... boiling water (about ½pint) cooled for a few minutes, add two or three drops of essential oils of TEA TREE and EUCALYPTUS and inhale deeply and often.
Should help hugely, not only will the steam loosen the mucus but the oils will combat the infection and ease the congestion....win win.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2019, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
There comes a point where you have to wake up and realise that all these pills, potions and pharma remedies are just BS. They are designed to make you feel better about yourself during the illness, but they don't help or cure the illness at all. Honey and lemon sweets are pure sugar. As such they trigger the pleasure receptors in the brain and make you feel happier. Unfortunately sugar is harmful to us and will serve only to make you stay sick longer and make things more severe.

Taking paracetamol is extremely unwise. We have been conditioned (brainwashed) into thinking that such remedies are good and right for colds and flu. Most of the cold/flu remedies (capsules, syrups etc) are loaded with paracetamol or neurofen.

The whole thing is just b*ll*cks and HARMFUL to you.

Taking paracetamol literally obstructs your body's own healing systems. It stops the body from being able to create and sustain the fever. The fever IS VITAL to stop the bugs from multiplying. By taking paracetamols you deprived your own body of its primary defense mechanism. As a result the bugs will have been free to replicate to alarming levels making everything more severe and then assuring that your condition will last far far longer than it otherwise would have.

My advice.

STOP taking the stupid potions, pills, syrups and so on.

Let your body create the fever (it might already be too late)

Go to bed, sweat out the fever. Listen to your body.

Let your body do its thing.

Actually gargling with hot water with TCP when you have an infected sore throat, and having a bowl steam inhalation sauna with vicks is a really good way to manage symptoms and fight the bug. Vicks has eucalyptus and menthol which are natural ingredients that have doubtless been used for eternity. TCP is great stuff for pretty much everything. I would love to know what you put on a finger when you get a cut. You can't sweat out septicaemia.

One of my favourites is olbas oil. It's not necessarily the medicinal action as much as the mental soothing of the smell. The mind and body balance is what actually heals you so you need all your comforts and preferably some chicken broth with some noodles.

The best natural syrup I have come across is equal parts honey and olive oil with a smaller portion of fresh lemon juice heated in a pan. It's a fabulous healing potion because olive oil has some great anti-viral anti bacterial properties.

I take paracetamol to stop pain. If your pain is reduced it is easier to sleep and you are less likely to cough because the throat symptoms are dampened. Sleep is the great healer realist.

A hot bath with some perfumed oils and a plain darjeeling tea with a slice of lemon is great.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2019, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Medicines just do not work. It's the biggest money making racket there is.
Hot drinks, stay warm and eat properly.
I totally agree that the hot lemon drinks and cough syrups are a complete waste of money. I used to force myself to drink this rubbish when I used to suffer from chronic sore throats as a teen and in my early twenties. Never helped a bit. Perhaps for some there is a placebo effect. Most cough syrups are a total rip off. The only one I found helpful was the original Covonia. These days fisherman friends are great.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

06-03-2019, 10:46 PM

Yes Gravitas, nosel squirts do help.
Tessa I damaged my nose lining using otrivine when I had sinusitis for months years ago.

It's worrying that you have mould and live near the quarry. Do you feel any better when you go on holiday or stay with friends?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2019, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Tessa I damaged my nose lining using otrivine when I had sinusitis for months years ago.

It's worrying that you have mould and live near the quarry. Do you feel any better when you go on holiday or stay with friends?
I have a steroid spray for polyps which is helping.
Don't worry peeps I am a qualified dispenser, I will only take what I need. I'm just a bit desperate with this cold, it's 'orrlible and I have a lot of symptoms with it.

As you say, medicines don't really work but, they have a certain comfort to them, you know you're doing something!

I went on holiday with family last year and felt exhausted, I don't stay with anyone or anywhere apart from home so i don't know if I'd feel better.
I love living in Cheddar, it's the best place I've ever lived. Not keen on the bungalow but beggars can't choose.

On hindsight I should have moved to the coast but no chance of that.
Anyway I've hijacked Gravitas' thread enough.

Neither of us will die from a cold!

Hope he's feeling better x

PS. I hate having a wet room and no bath
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

07-03-2019, 12:30 AM

I have a steroid spray for polyps which is helping.
Don't worry peeps I am a qualified dispenser, I will only take what I need. I'm just a bit desperate with this cold, it's 'orrlible and I have a lot of symptoms with it.

As you say, medicines don't really work but, they have a certain comfort to them, you know you're doing something!

I went on holiday with family last year and felt exhausted, I don't stay with anyone or anywhere apart from home so i don't know if I'd feel better.
I love living in Cheddar, it's the best place I've ever lived. Not keen on the bungalow but beggars can't choose.

On hindsight I should have moved to the coast but no chance of that.
Anyway I've hijacked Gravitas' thread enough.

Hope he's feeling better x

PS. I hate having a wet room and no bath
Tess Cheddar is indeed a lovely place. You can keep the potholing though.

But you need to get rid of that wet room and install a bath! Although having said that a wet room is more practical when you get older. Why is life so complicated?!

The mould is bad. Perhaps another long hot summer will help.

Hope you feel better x
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 08:18 PM

The only "something" you are doing is obstructing your body's own healing systems. It prolongs the condition and invariably makes it more severe leading to additional complications.

We can all easily die from a cold if we take the wrong actions. Older vulnerable people might go reaching for paracetamol/neurofen products which obstruct the body's ability to generate a fever. The bugs replicate exponentially and overrun the body. Pneumonia or other conditions ensue and that's how you can die.

All for the want of some simple basic knowledge about the human body and the purpose of a fever. Knowledge they don't teach you when young.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top