Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 12:11 PM

Re: Does anyone eat much Red Meat These Days!

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
That's us too OGF. Don't do fat at all. I even cut the fat off the bacon before grilling it. Luckily my local butcher knows what a fussy ol' cow (excuse the pun) I am, and always gives me the leanest cuts.
(
Same here Shropshiregirl, always cut the fat and rind off the bacon before it goes into the pan. And Mrs Fox always insists that the butcher trims off the fat before she buys it, although there is still some more to come off when she gets it home.
When I find a fatty bit in the stewed steak we've been having it puts me off eating the rest of it....Yuk!....
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Vlad, I shall raise a glass to you in about two hours time when my pork loins are cooked to perfection under the watchful eye of Mrs Fox....(she always cooks on Sundays..)
Good man, I always cook on a Sunday, I have just returned from the battle zone, formerly the kitchen, I am an enthusiastic but untidy cook..I have bunged 1kg of brisket into the slow cooker, (we eat late here) along with mushrooms onions garlic, beef stock and herbs from the garden. Along with a cheeky,(why do people say that?)Shiraz, the obligatory Yorkies and roasties I tend to well happy and stuffed later. Enjoy the pork.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Same here Shropshiregirl, always cut the fat and rind off the bacon before it goes into the pan. And Mrs Fox always insists that the butcher trims off the fat before she buys it, although there is still some more to come off when she gets it home.
When I find a fatty bit in the stewed steak we've been having it puts me off eating the rest of it....Yuk!....
exactly the same as us. I always remember doing the yearly pilgrimage to Eire once a year to visit family when we were younger. I used to dread visiting my Dad's side because they were the local butchers in the village and always had a big pot of joint of bacon with cabbage and red potatoes for a welcome dinner. but, gulp! the amount of fat on the bacon joint used to make me want to heave! so I was always the only one who had a lovely sirloin steak on my plate instead whilst all of my brothers (who felt the same as me about fat on their meat) had to sit there with glum faces and push their fatty bacon pieces around on their plates.

I'm afraid I'm just the same with Sausages. If I find one piece of gristle in a sausage, that's it. I won't eat them for months!

No doubt, many will think ''spoilt brat!'' and how many starving people there are in the world, but unfortunately, that has been me from a small child, I'm not going to change my habits now I am at the other end of the scale!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 03:43 PM

Hi

Being sensible is not the same as being spoilt.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 03:50 PM

Val is another who can't stand the sight of fat on any meat. I even have to cut off the tiny slivers of fat and rind on the Sunday morning fry up bacon. As a matter of interest, it's the fat layer on lamb that makes me retch every time I see it.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 04:03 PM

That's us too OGF. Don't do fat at all. I even cut the fat off the bacon before grilling it. Luckily my local butcher knows what a fussy ol' cow (excuse the pun) I am, and always gives me the leanest cuts.

I must admit, the last time I recall actually eating a proper cut of red meat has to be almost 6 months ago when we had 2 Rib Eye steaks.
I'd also forgotten that about a month ago, we had a steak & onion Pukka Pie, (which was really nice).

No, I'm afraid that apart from minced beef, I will continue to eat only white meat until the price of Lamb and Beef come down. It's no wonder British farmers are complaining about the threat of cheaper imports after Brexit when they are getting sky-high prices such as they are doing at the moment. It's very unfair that home consumers cannot be charged much cheaper prices though. How are we supposed to support them when it is priced far beyond most pockets?

I look at lots of recently contributed recipes from all over the world that contain 6 - 8 lamb chops or same amount of sliced topside of beef and I think....how on earth can they afford that?? especially when I look at the prices we have to pay!!
With my usual butcher only opening between selected hours, I was compelled to forego my usual dry-cured back bacon and get some bacon from the supermarket. `With added water` it said on the packet. They're not kidding. As soon as I started cooking it in the frying pan, there was so much water leaking out, I had to put in a sheet of paper towel to mob it all up. Not so much fried as poached. Checking the packet again, the ingredients said 78% pork implying that the remaining 22% is water, salt, and flavourings.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
With my usual butcher only opening between selected hours, I was compelled to forego my usual dry-cured back bacon and get some bacon from the supermarket. `With added water` it said on the packet. They're not kidding. As soon as I started cooking it in the frying pan, there was so much water leaking out, I had to put in a sheet of paper towel to mob it all up. Not so much fried as poached. Checking the packet again, the ingredients said 78% pork implying that the remaining 22% is water, salt, and flavourings.
Supermarket suppliers are all guilty of doing that to bacon and sausages especially. In fact, some suppliers add so much water they have to add an emulsifier* too to keep the water in the meat. A disgraceful way of keeping the costs down and profits up.

* Effectively a type of soap. This is the stuff that turns white in the frying pan.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 07:56 PM

Groan, it's so true about bacon and added water. The only brand that I would ever buy from a supermarket was Walls bacon, never any added water in the packs. Stopped selling it so stopped buying their bacon. The bacon I get from my butcher is lovely, no yukky white slime on them whatsoever, and not at all salty, which I personally cannot stand. I do try to get Canadian Maple Cured Back Bacon whenever possible because it is gorgeous , but again, like gold dust. I really miss the Littlewoods as large as gammon slice sized thin rashers of shoulder (collar) bacon from their deli counter as well. I see a shoulder of bacon joint in the butchers but they won't ever sell it in rashers. Grrr!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2020, 01:04 AM

Cut off the fat? are you mad?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2020, 04:59 AM

Groan, it's so true about bacon and added water. The only brand that I would ever buy from a supermarket was Walls bacon, never any added water in the packs. Stopped selling it so stopped buying their bacon. The bacon I get from my butcher is lovely, no yukky white slime on them whatsoever, and not at all salty, which I personally cannot stand. I do try to get Canadian Maple Cured Back Bacon whenever possible because it is gorgeous , but again, like gold dust. I really miss the Littlewoods as large as gammon slice sized thin rashers of shoulder (collar) bacon from their deli counter as well. I see a shoulder of bacon joint in the butchers but they won't ever sell it in rashers. Grrr!
Yucky white slime ??? Good heavens. Sounds like old, semi- rotten-bacon.
The bacon sold in the U.S. comes in vacuum packs of 1/2 kilo. Until it is put out for sale, it is kept frozen.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top