Join for free
Page 14 of 40 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 11:53 AM

Re: Fire engulfs Grenfell tower block in west London

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I can't agree. Corbyn rarely comes across as sincere and he's always on the case for political gain!

Perhaps it's just his manner. Purwell - would you know anything about that????
Having met the man and talked to him, yes I do know.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 11:55 AM

Only people using it for political gain seem to be in this thread. Corbyn made a reasonable remark as a politician.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is not just the cladding, it is the fire separation.

The smoke should not have got out into the protected stairwell.

The fire doors are there to prevent such a thing happening.

When installed they have self closures and smoke seals to prevent this happening.

The fire should have been contained in the flat where it started for a minimum of 30 minutes, 60 minutes in high rise.
Swim I have never lived in a flat, so don't understand the safety measures and need to ask some questions.

If each flat had fire doors, would they have closed automatically, when the man in the flat, where the fridge exploded, escaped?

Would those fire doors have made it difficult to alert the neighbours?

If the measures you say should have been there and would allow 30 mins before it spread, do you think that no lives would have been lost, because the Fire Brigade were there 6 mins after it was reported so could have stopped the spread being so great?

Sorry to ask so much, but I feel I need to lay blame, where it belongs, for all those people who died or suffered.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 12:02 PM

Cosmetic cladding is what caused this fire to spread so fast that is the main concern.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
This morning I heard that a week ago, the appliances (cookers etc) in that block were changed from electricity to gas.
I was under the impression that gas appliances were no longer allowed in high-rise buildings since the Ronan Point gas explosion and subsequent collapse of part of the building?
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 12:12 PM

Twink.
All public buildings have fire regulation. Hotels and multi residence homes must have at the very least fire doors and adequate escape routes. The idea of fire doors are to contain fires, a seal expands to block air feeding the fire. That's why your supermarket has fire extinguishers and panic bar fire doors, just in case.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I was under the impression that gas appliances were no longer allowed in high-rise buildings since the Ronan Point gas explosion and subsequent collapse of part of the building?
No idea and I missed the rest of the programme I was listening to.
Googling, but can find no ref to the switching over from electricity to gas.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Swim I have never lived in a flat, so don't understand the safety measures and need to ask some questions.

If each flat had fire doors, would they have closed automatically, when the man in the flat, where the fridge exploded, escaped?

Would those fire doors have made it difficult to alert the neighbours?

If the measures you say should have been there and would allow 30 mins before it spread, do you think that no lives would have been lost, because the Fire Brigade were there 6 mins after it was reported so could have stopped the spread being so great?

Sorry to ask so much, but I feel I need to lay blame, where it belongs, for all those people who died or suffered.
Hi

There is a legal requirement for all flats to have a fire door.

There is also a requirement, for some rooms in flats where there is a high risk of fire, such as kitchens, to have fire doors.

Ordinary fire doors are self closing, so should have been shut.

There should also have separation between each floor, with holes for services sealed with intumescent paste to prevent the spread of fire.

In high risk domestic situations, such as our Homeless Hostels, Children's Homes and Women's Refuge, there is a different system.

This the same as is used in hospitals etc.

The fire doors are held open with electromagnets, as soon as the fire alarm goes off, the circuit is cut and the doors spring shut.

I am no great expert on this, it is over 10 years ago when I managed Building Control and Housing EHOs, so things may have changed since then.

The principles remain the same.

As regards the cladding, it is used on all sorts of new build as well as refurbishment.

You can get it in all sorts of colours and even have patterns and pictures printed on it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Twink.
All public buildings have fire regulation. Hotels and multi residence homes must have at the very least fire doors and adequate escape routes. The idea of fire doors are to contain fires, a seal expands to block air feeding the fire. That's why your supermarket has fire extinguishers and panic bar fire doors, just in case.
Thank you, I have seen fire doors on corridors, but I wondered if they would put them on each flat in order to contain the fire to one home.

I suppose I am looking for an answer, so this could never happen again at another high rise building, but we will hear the main cause soon , I expect.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Ordinary fire doors are self closing, so should have been shut.

There should also have separation between each floor, with holes for services sealed with intumescent paste to prevent the spread of fire.

In high risk domestic situations, such as our Homeless Hostels, Children's Homes and Women's Refuge, there is a different system.

This the same as is used in hospitals etc.

The fire doors are held open with electromagnets, as soon as the fire alarm goes off, the circuit is cut and the doors spring shut.

I am no great expert on this, it is over 10 years ago when I managed Building Control and Housing EHOs, so things may have changed since then.

The principles remain the same.

As regards the cladding, it is used on all sorts of new build as well as refurbishment.

You can get it in all sorts of colours and even have patterns and pictures printed on it.
Was going to say this myself. The only time that I've installed magnetic door retainers for fire doors was in an `old-folks` home many years ago. These are linked to a fire alarm system which shuts them off when activated. All other HMOs I've worked on have standard fire doors that are auto closing but I've seen instances where tenants have purposely jammed the doors open between rooms to make it easier for them to go room to room.

Page 14 of 40 « First < 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top