Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 11:38 AM

Re: Work

Hi Jeana, I'm working and will carry on doing so for another 10 years, unless I win the lottery

Like Alan said, I think people can start judging you if they find you have some kind of high falutin job. Which is true. I've learnt that this means nothing in the grand scheme of things. My partner had a hugely powerful job, now retired, but I only see him as him. Some of my friends pretend and call him "sir" and "commander", but he just laughs. He's just him, came into the world with a split in his arse like the rest of us
Jeana
Oregon, USA
Jeana is female 

03-11-2014, 03:02 PM

I wouldn't want to see a topic specifically where people note what they do for a living.

I had been looking for a topic heading where people discuss subject matter related to work, such as if they are looking for a consensus, or advice or ideas.

For example, I am polishing up my resume' because I need to find a better paying job. However, right now where I work a friend of mine, who is also in my small dept., is ill and will be out for 3 months, so the remaining three of us are working together to keep things running as smoothly as possible.

While I know I cannot afford to continue to live partly off my savings account, I also would feel somewhat disloyal if I left for a job at a different company at this time.

My sister says I have to think about my own situation first, but I tend to be a very loyal person. I'm not sure whether to just focus on my current job for the next three or four months and let my savings keep taking a hit, or go ahead and apply for other jobs and move on if the right one comes my way.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 04:08 PM

I wake up each morning thanking heaven I never have to work again my days are all mine..
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 05:15 PM

Jeana ... if you are struggling financially by staying in your present job it makes sense to move on as soon as possible.

It's commendable that you feel loyalty to your present employers but do they care about how you struggle to make ends meet ..... NO !!!!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 05:46 PM

I agree with your sister, Jeana, you should put yourself first. If a better paying job comes along, which means you don't have to raid your savings, you should go for it.

Loyalty is all very well but if it costs you money then perhaps it's time to move on - if the opportunity presents itself.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I wake up each morning thanking heaven I never have to work again my days are all mine..
Me too, Meg! My days are so full I would not have time to go to work now anyway.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 08:54 PM

i love hearing people are happy in retirement. I've said before, I have a few friends who have retired and they look absolutely great! They don't miss it a jot, don't have enough hours in the day, and just look great in themselves.

Jeana, it's difficult if you have money worries, but there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. I've got my torch out, looking for it in the distance
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 08:59 PM

I go to work everyday and think about the time when I can wake up and not have to go to work.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 09:14 PM

Loyalty is a great virtue Jeana, not so much of it around today, but you have to consider how many more good working years you have in you and make the best decision financially for your future when you won't be able to work at all, you have to be loyal to yourself as well.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

03-11-2014, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
I go to work everyday and think about the time when I can wake up and not have to go to work.
Aww Graham understand how you feel. It doesn't mean you hate your job, or are lazy, can just mean you want to enjoy life. Some of my Rambler pals are in their 50's and have been able to afford to retire. They go walking midweek and I'd love to do that. I love my job, but be nice to have the choice

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top