Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 09:38 PM

Re: Work

I used to think I had to be loyal and supportive to work colleagues until I had to take my employers to a tribunal, then I found out that no one would support me, I won anyway, but it opened my eyes to what others are prepared to do for you, very disappointing especially as some were friends outside of work.
The have been threads about what jobs people have done and what they wished they'd done. I do feel that having a "Work" category may lead to folk who no longer work for some reason feeling somewhat awkward and may lead to unkind comments, however unintentional. I remember someone, awhile ago being banned for comments about folk on benefits.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 11:19 PM

Work is hard, like watching the kettle boil- organising the day over a cup of coffee- watching the news on TV, as for exercise that involves keeping out of Sue's way as much as possible. Woe betide me when she has the vacuum cleaner out, there is no where to hide.

Work? having people tell you what to do and not to do, no way that hasn't happened since 1993, own business with Sue was the best move ever.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I dislike the quiz show format where during the introductions, the contestants state their age and occupation, does this matter.
I think it matters a lot

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Knowing someone's occupation enables you to make judgements about them...........judgements which may be wrong.
On a few occasions maybe, but not many.

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Don't make um any good a quizzes.
I gave up watching any kind of quiz show a long time ago mainly because of the contestants.

I like to know not only what a person does (or did) for a living but also what their parents did, can be very revealing, like father like son as they say.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2014, 11:25 PM

What I did had no relationship with my fathers business
Jeana
Oregon, USA
Jeana is female 

04-11-2014, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Work? having people tell you what to do and not to do, no way that hasn't happened since 1993, own business with Sue was the best move ever.
My husband and I started a business in 1985 and operated it together til mid 2008. When we divorced, the Judge gave it to my husband. I had thought I would be self-employed all the way to retirement, but that didn't work out. Since my husband now had the business, and that was where most of my life's work experience lay, employers I was applying with at the time only allowed me entry level positions, nothing I could live on. I was making $9 an hour then, while my husband was able to continue with our business, making a minimum of $52 an hour. I asked the Judge for some money to get retraining, but he said no.

There are lots of benefits I've gained in my last job, and my current one, because of the nature of the work, the environments, and the people. But I'd rather not be stuck working for others all my life. I do miss being self-employed, and I was good at it, kept a schedule and kept on top of things very well.

I would love to come up with something that I can be self-employed at soon, and still have a way to have medical benefits, so am looking into that. The challenge is finding a path that I can both afford to train for, and can fit training for into my already full time schedule. Not an easy set of tasks for someone nearly 58. And it has to be in a market that is steady, or growing, to be worth the while.

I will continue to do research on that, while also finding a new job. I'm sure now that everyone is right, here, about loyalty vs. doing what's best for me. I don't feel doubtful anymore about whether it's okay to look after myself and move on if I can. This thread has been a benefit, lots of logical, helpful people here!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2014, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jeana ->
I am surprised not to find a thread category on the subject of 'Work' and since I cannot be the only 'Over 50' (and under 60) person here who has a full time job, perhaps people don't want to converse on that subject. ?
What? wash your mouth out with carbolic... WORK! I didn't come in here to hear language like that.

I retired at 60 and wish I had done it five years earlier, have no idea how I ever found time for work.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2014, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
I think it matters a lot

On a few occasions maybe, but not many.

I gave up watching any kind of quiz show a long time ago mainly because of the contestants.

I like to know not only what a person does (or did) for a living but also what their parents did, can be very revealing, like father like son as they say.

Knowing this seems a bit "Pointless" to me, there is probably a "Fifteen to One" chance they are fibbing anyway, most folks don't go on the box in the first palce, they just "Keep it in the Family".
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2014, 08:39 AM

I'm with you on that one Bruce. I always planned to retire at 56 - NOT 65. This is what I did and I've never been busier. However, It's peeing down here this morning, so I don't think I'll bother going out. Looks like a TV day.
That's proper work.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2014, 11:50 AM

I would love to retire but unfortunately I will have to keep on working for the foreseeable future.

I used to have a lovely well paid job where I worked long hours to make sure the work got done and was loyal, took on extra work when it was required always there to help.

When they were down sizing non of that was taken into account.

I now don't get as much money, I leave on time and nothing much is expected other than certain jobs done in the day.

I think if you get the chance Jeana to get another job then go for it. The one thing you will always find in the work place is that they will always manage.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2014, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I used to think I had to be loyal and supportive to work colleagues until I had to take my employers to a tribunal, then I found out that no one would support me, I won anyway, but it opened my eyes to what others are prepared to do for you, very disappointing especially as some were friends outside of work.
The have been threads about what jobs people have done and what they wished they'd done. I do feel that having a "Work" category may lead to folk who no longer work for some reason feeling somewhat awkward and may lead to unkind comments, however unintentional. I remember someone, awhile ago being banned for comments about folk on benefits.
Yes Twiz, I think you come to realise that you are only a number in the workplace. Terribly hurtful and disappointing if they let you down when you need their support.

I enjoy my job very much. But also look forward to retiring some day. I've said before that many of my colleagues and friends have retired and they look great and are having the time of their lives. I love so see them so happy and don't grudge them their retirement one bit. I think it would be very unfair to be unkind to someone just because they've retired!m It comes to most of us in the end!

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top