Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 12:05 AM

Re: Will this be the end of the Christmas Card?

As expensive as it is I will never stop posting Christmas cards as I don't believe anything replaces the real thing.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
As expensive as it is I will never stop posting Christmas cards as I don't believe anything replaces the real thing.
It's lovely to see you on here Jim, I hope your recovery is going well...
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I think the post office know people will continue to send the traditional post cards so why not cash in while they can, that's what happens when you let public owned institutions slip out of your hands and let greedy companies take over, greed never sleeps, they are trying to sell off our post offices now, but they face a stiff battle.
I have to say I think the post office does a wonderful job. When I pick up parcels at the sorting office it fascinates me. How letters and parcels get from a to b so easily. Yes, stamps aren't cheap, but when you think of the service that includes, in the grand scheme of things it is worth it IMO.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 07:35 AM

The Royal Mail/post office have had a hundred plus years of experience to perfect delivery of parcels/post therefore they should have a pretty slick operation. Unfortunately they have not. Recently I sent my Grandson his birthday card , with Postal Order enclosed, first class and to be signed for. The postal order had £6 extra to pay on it and the postage was several pounds. It was posted a couple of days before his birthday. Did it arrive ? No. It arrived 8 days later. Did they request the signing of the delivery? No! It was just pushed through the letter box. It caused us all a lot of upset and a hassle as I had spent time trying to track and chase it up. This isn't a one off. Their service is very poor.

There are a number of delivery services out there who have a much more committed and slick operation. They are snapping at the heels of Royal Mail and will soon, hopefully, offer a comprehensive service. I ordered some new Hunter Wellington boots recently. Ordered them Saturday afternoon. They were delivered by the courier service on the Sunday morning, the following day. That is the sort of service we should be able to expect with modern technology.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 07:50 AM

We are using Couriers more ,they are more reliable,.I had a sign for parcel and the royal mail man signed for it in front of me !! Not the first time its happened .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Celyn ->
The Royal Mail/post office have had a hundred plus years of experience to perfect delivery of parcels/post therefore they should have a pretty slick operation. Unfortunately they have not. Recently I sent my Grandson his birthday card , with Postal Order enclosed, first class and to be signed for. The postal order had £6 extra to pay on it and the postage was several pounds. It was posted a couple of days before his birthday. Did it arrive ? No. It arrived 8 days later. Did they request the signing of the delivery? No! It was just pushed through the letter box. It caused us all a lot of upset and a hassle as I had spent time trying to track and chase it up. This isn't a one off. Their service is very poor.

There are a number of delivery services out there who have a much more committed and slick operation. They are snapping at the heels of Royal Mail and will soon, hopefully, offer a comprehensive service. I ordered some new Hunter Wellington boots recently. Ordered them Saturday afternoon. They were delivered by the courier service on the Sunday morning, the following day. That is the sort of service we should be able to expect with modern technology.
Good post Celyn
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 09:55 AM

I saved myself some postage this year by giving the cards out.
I took my Leeds cards up with me and gave them to my family
and friends even posting some of them at `10.30pm on my way
home. Then my Sisters cards and family I gave her them to hand
out when I went to her party. So saved something there.
Have to send a card off to the USA and two to Australia yet so that
will cost. I have also joined online a company that sends all sort
of musical cards for all occasions. It cost me £11 for 2 years and
I send a lot of my birthday cards that way. As long as the person has
a e mail address. They are really lovely cards with music and I like
the animal ones best. You put the date you want it sending and off it
goes. So saves me a lot of cash in cards and stamps. If anyone wants the company's name its called Jacquie Lawson
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
I agree with with you. I love making cards to suit the recipient and I love receiving cards. It is such a thoughtful gesture.

Email is too impersonal.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I agree with with you. I love making cards to suit the recipient and I love receiving cards. It is such a thoughtful gesture.

Email is too impersonal.
So right !
I've seen an example of your cards, such a lovely thing to do for someone
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 07:38 PM

My uncle hand delivers his cards and puts them through the letterbox, having written in the top right corner "stamp fell off"

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top