Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 01:30 AM

I felt very old today . . .

On the spur of the moment, I decided to go for a bus ride to my nearest big town today. I haven't been there for ages.

It took about 1 & quarter hours to get there, and once off the bus, I decided I needed the loo. I found a very posh, 'futuristic' looking one in the brand new bus station that's just been built, only thing is, it had barricades across the entrance. There was a machine appearing to need 20p, but after posting the money, I still couldn't get in. Eventually a kind lady pointed out a different machine altogether and said to try that one. It worked and the barricades lifted. What a palaver I thought, and I also recalled when it used to cost just 1p!
When I was coming back out, the pesky barricades were down again and I couldn't figure out how to get out! I was getting a bit ratty by then. Then a man standing outside shouted across to me to "Push the button on the wall", which I did, and did and finally escaped! How stupid not to have any instructions anywhere, I have never even seen a loo like that before and hadn't got a clue what to do.

When I got to huge 'Boots' I knew there was an escalator somewhere in the shop but had to ask someone where, (no signs anywhere). Then I got lost in the shopping centre and couldn't find the way out again, so had to ask again!

I went on to get lost once more on the way back to the bus station, and was so relieved to finally get back on the bus in the warm, sit down and be taken home.
But - the schools had turned out by then and three awful girls of about 13 or 14 got on and sat right behind me. Shouting so that the entire bus could hear them, they seemed unable to finish a single sentence with out swearing. Everything was F***ing, P***ing, Sh**, along with quite a few D*ck head thrown in. You daren't say anything to them for fear of reprisal, but I was really fed up with them. Along with that, there were at least 4 people shouting down their mobile phones too!

Not sure if I am now too ancient to be let out on my own now, or whether I just need to get out more. . .
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 01:51 AM

Re: I felt very old today . . .

New tecnology tends to confuse the mind when it suddenly confronts you Mups, ....Going through the airport is getting more and more self service and thats when i felt my age this year .Booking online was easy enough ,and printing off my E.Ticket too,When it came to show my ticket ,i had to show it to a Machine,and a turn style would open to let me through. What a trial that turned out to be ,putting my A4 E.Ticket on the machine didn't open the turn style,first one way and then another i did it till a Airport worker did it for me .
Of course the Bar code had to be put over the Scanner...

The toilets you describe ive only went to once ,it was in a town i was visiting ,never came across them again
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

11-12-2014, 03:04 AM

I have no experience with those machines, but I hear you about the girls language. Over here in America, the youngsters think its "cool" to be vulgar. Maybe I'm getting old too. I've used some language myself, but usually after someone has really pushed my buttons.

Old-fashioned it may be, but I'm a lady.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 06:03 AM

I now know to avoid the school runs, im sure i was as silent as a church mouse when i was at that age. Although the posh nettys are a challenge, you are lucky to find a public loo these days.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 08:57 AM

If I need a loo when out I tend to try and find one in a supermarket or coffee shop, never venture out when schools are chucking out or going in, and avoid buses like the plague !!

I am not convinced it's getting old making things harder for you though it sounds like lack of manners and instructions is the main problem and nothing to do with you.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 09:02 AM

Most of these futuristic loos need a 20p coin before you can get in to spend a penny Whenever I've had the need to use them I stand there at the machine waiting for 19p change! Never yet been able to squeeze out 20ps worth.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 09:05 AM

Poor mups! What a day.

I hate the school chucking out time.

I was given a Radar key (easily bought in shops selling disability items) by the incontinence nurse over a year ago, and it can save money. It doesn't help in all places that don't offer the disabled toilet facility, but I've now found such a toilet at London's Liverpool Street station, whose toilets are down stairs and do cost that 20p. Radar key operated ones on platform 10.

And I've used the key in Central London, but I know I tried in one Tardis type loo and the door wouldn't unlock. It does with most of them though.

Unfortunately I can't do anything about children's manners.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 09:26 AM

We are in a world of scanners.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by donnamarie ->
I have no experience with those machines, but I hear you about the girls language. Over here in America, the youngsters think its "cool" to be vulgar. Maybe I'm getting old too. I've used some language myself, but usually after someone has really pushed my buttons.

Old-fashioned it may be, but I'm a lady.
Agree with you
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 09:51 AM

Mups - I don't think the answer is to get 'out more' - why relive it all over again

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top