Join for free
NotMyRealName
New Member!
Birmingham, UK
NotMyRealName is male 

13-12-2019, 07:32 AM

Recommend me a Parcel Delivery Company

Hi everyone,

I would like a recommendation for a delivery company because I have an Ultrasonic cleaner which I purchased from Maplin before they went out of business which has a fault and needs to go back to the manufacturer for repair. The guarantee expires just before the end of this year therefore time is short.

This Ultrasonic cleaner cost me a lot of money, far more than I had hoped, it cost me almost £400, a James Products Sonic 6MX. The next best price I could find at the time was about £485, a 20% eBay discount, £70 max, helped and so did some cash back from TCB where they matched Quidco's higher cashback.

I received it, tested out okay and then put it away until I needed it. However when I recently started using it, a part of the tank started going rusty. It should not of done this because it is stainless steel and only water has been used in it. Fortunately James products were very good and have said that they will replace the tank to fix it which works for me because mine is practically unused and the electronics work fine.

I need to send this to Dorset and it needs to be well insured £650-£750 because these are extremely difficult to purchase now because James Products has moved out of the Ultrasonic cleaner business and has stopped making them. They are all discontinued on their website. It would cost me about £750 to replace. Therefore the purchase price is not sufficient recompense.

Therefore I want recommendations on delivery companies who can pick up and deliver. I have seen that DPD has been getting some very mixed reviews, mostly very negative recently on Trustpilot. That is not my local experience of DPD which has always been very good. Once a company selected the wrong address on a delivery website and the parcel did still get to me because the driver who often delivers to me recognised my name and corrected the address.

TNT express who seem to be in the process of being taken over or re-branded as FedEx express. James Products did recommend FedEx but they will not deliver single parcels and require a monthly minimum in order to allow a quote. I did phone FedEx about that and they recommended TNT. Mmmmm TNT reviews are bad on Trustpilot.

Can anyone recommend a company? A company who will not lose, steal or try to play American football with my parcel.

It needs to be collect by Monday at the latest.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 09:34 AM

Re: Recommend me a Parcel Delivery Company

I have always used Yodel - and they have never, ever, let me down. They have delivered or collected everything from cat litter to DVDs and have always been timely and courteous
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 09:50 AM

DPD. In my experience they are the best. I even receive a one-hour time slot from them.

Sadly, I have to disagree with ST. Yodel have been unreliable.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 10:35 AM

I have never had a problem with DPD and as JBR says, they let you know when they will be arriving.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
DPD. In my experience they are the best. I even receive a one-hour time slot from them.

Sadly, I have to disagree with ST. Yodel have been unreliable.

I agree. DPD or Hermes have always been reliable here.
Wouldn't touch Yodel with a barge pole.
NotMyRealName
New Member!
Birmingham, UK
NotMyRealName is male 

13-12-2019, 11:56 AM

Thanks all for the recomm...

DPD did come top of a poll at Money Saving Expert earlier this year.

Yodel are not good in my experience. I once ordered from eBay an anchor point and I was in my bathroom when Yodel rang the doorbell. I opened the bathroom window so he did not clear off and he wanted to throw the package up to me to a first floor window. If I had failed to catch it it would of damaged my property. These anchor points are very heavy metal and very solid so could of done a lot of damage. I refused to catch it and he dropped it on the doorstep and p'd off.

The only issue with DPD is that they can deliver later than the company is open. In that respect UPS offers a more suitable service ie by 2pm but the reviews really put me off. However reading reviews on trustpilot about DPD would also put me off.

DPD pricing is £15.59. UPS wanted only £8.99 and TNT £11.06.

DPD want £17.99 for by 12 noon deliveries.

[Post edited to make corrections because I mixed up UPS and TNT]
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 01:56 PM

DPD are fine (as far as my experience of them goes). However, would it be possible to wait until after Christmas. Most delivery systems are chaotic at this time of year and personally, something as valuable as you are talking about would probably benefit from a less busy period IO.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 06:52 PM

You can also track the delivery van with DPD which is addictive and great fun. You can keep referring to the map every 20 minutes saying things like 'Tomas is currently in Dingbat Lane and has another seventy two parcels to deliver before he gets here''

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 08:16 PM

I have just had a negative experience with HERMES. Here are the details:

I ordered an item from an Amazon vendor yesterday and was told, under Prime, the item would be delivered today.
I received an email from Hermes today stating that delivery would take place between 1200 and 1600. A later email followed stating between 1400 and 1800. At around 1700 another email arrived claiming that I was not here to receive delivery. This is an outright lie, as I was waiting at home at the time. There was no sound of the doorbell and no knock on the door.
Despite the vendor's supplied details that the item was packaged to fit through a letterbox, there was no delivered package. Neither was there a 'missed delivery' card. This would suggest that the courier had not even bothered to come to my door.
I believe that this is a not uncommon occurrence with the less reliable courier companies, like Hermes.
I have complained to Amazon, who were helpful, but cannot complain direct to Hermes because, predictably, they provide no facility for me to do so.
I would strongly advise that customers avoid any online sales where products are delivered by Hermes.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 08:20 PM

royal mail recorded delivery

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top