Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 02:22 PM

Re: How Did Cheating Become Acceptable?

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Exploiting an opening or an opportunity is fine - along with doing your best to limit tax liabilities. However, what is wrong is cheating and being dishonest/lying to achieve an end, particularly when it hurts or disadvantages someone else. Those who do are seriously lacking a moral compass IMO (not that anyone can eat a moral compass ) Also - depends on whether someone places any value in being trustworthy.
I guess I have no conventional moral compass then. Maybe it evaporates early in life because of events and experience.

As for being trustworthy, it's a bit like sincerity. Once you can fake it you've cracked it.(not original).
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 03:31 PM

Britain is becoming more and more corrupt. It starts right at the so called top with certain people sleeping with young girls and associating with the wrong sort, then there are the cheating politicians and at the bottom of the scale, those who don't declare their free tea and biscuits on their self assessment forms.

It's all part of our imminent demise into a third world country.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I guess I have no conventional moral compass then. Maybe it evaporates early in life because of events and experience.

As for being trustworthy, it's a bit like sincerity. Once you can fake it you've cracked it.(not original).
I don't think so. I believe it is probably the other way round. I have this idea that it's more likely that people become trustworthy and develop a sound moral compass as they grow and develop. Are these things even present to any great extent as young children? To say that honesty/moral compass may been taken away - or that these things evaporate because of events/experience is a bit of a lame argument - a cop out even IMO. I will concede, however, that in no small part, which way we could develop as we become adults depends on what and how we are taught as children and what examples/yardsticks we are given when young. An individual's psyche and temperament will also be factors. Then we have choices...………………..

I think to become trustworthy/honest requires a great more commitment than sincerity. False sincerity is much more easy to turn on and off.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Britain is becoming more and more corrupt. It starts right at the so called top with certain people sleeping with young girls and associating with the wrong sort, then there are the cheating politicians and at the bottom of the scale, those who don't declare their free tea and biscuits on their self assessment forms.

It's all part of our imminent demise into a third world country.
Britain IS a Third World Country.

Compare life in the UK today with world economies and living standards across he world and it's not a pretty picture that emerges.

OK some things are pretty good - but only some.

Our NHS is crap. The patient care is pretty good from the staff but to be honest not brilliant. The actual service delivered by the NHS varies from about adequate to awful when compared to most countries - and VERY expensive which we don't notice because the money comes out of general taxation.

Infrastructure is dreadful, housing is hardly spectacular for most especially compared to the Far East, food use mostly second rate with the best we produce being exported and the imports are far from being top shelf stuff. Compare food in even just the hypermarkets around Calais with what is on offer here for starters. That's why we take a shopping trip over there every two or three months. As or fresh food such as fruit and veg -- no comparison.

There's as hell of a lot worse places than here but equally we are no longer a First World Nation.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

13-12-2019, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I don't think so. I believe it is probably the other way round. I have this idea that it's more likely that people become trustworthy and develop a sound moral compass as they grow and develop. Are these things even present to any great extent as young children? To say that honesty/moral compass may been taken away - or that these things evaporate because of events/experience is a bit of a lame argument - a cop out even IMO. I will concede, however, that in no small part, which way we could develop as we become adults depends on what and how we are taught as children and what examples/yardsticks we are given when young. An individual's psyche and temperament will also be factors. Then we have choices...………………..

I think to become trustworthy/honest requires a great more commitment than sincerity. False sincerity is much more easy to turn on and off.
To be perfectly serious I don't give a stuff about being trustworthy or honest.

All I care about is getting the very best that I can for my family and myself by whatever means open to me.

It's served us very well this far. At the end of the day EVERYBODY has their price.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 05:22 PM

Are you saying you would lie to achieve your goals regardless of how that affects other people? I hope you're not saying that... I couldn't live with myself if I thought thinking that way was ok.... surely you're not saying that.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Are you saying you would lie to achieve your goals regardless of how that affects other people? I hope you're not saying that... I couldn't live with myself if I thought thinking that way was ok.... surely you're not saying that.
I am with you all the way in this Summer but I am afraid that, those who do that, are the ones who make me glad that I haven't got another 60 years to put up with it!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 06:27 PM

Britain IS a Third World Country.

Compare life in the UK today with world economies and living standards across he world and it's not a pretty picture that emerges.

OK some things are pretty good - but only some.

Our NHS is crap. The patient care is pretty good from the staff but to be honest not brilliant. The actual service delivered by the NHS varies from about adequate to awful when compared to most countries - and VERY expensive which we don't notice because the money comes out of general taxation.

Infrastructure is dreadful, housing is hardly spectacular for most especially compared to the Far East, food use mostly second rate with the best we produce being exported and the imports are far from being top shelf stuff. Compare food in even just the hypermarkets around Calais with what is on offer here for starters. That's why we take a shopping trip over there every two or three months. As or fresh food such as fruit and veg -- no comparison.

There's as hell of a lot worse places than here but equally we are no longer a First World Nation.

I agree.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

13-12-2019, 07:08 PM

That is exactly what I'm saying. We're on this earth once.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2019, 07:14 PM

Yes he is saying that. I've commented in many threads over the past few months where I've noticed he has posted in as well and have noticed that side of his attitude. The thing is he openly admits to it as well.

You have to accept there are people in this world who are like that. Cheaters and dishonest people flourish in this world because those above them got where they are by being a cheater or being dishonest themselves. They do not follow rules and laws because to do so is time consuming, having to follow 'red tape', it is therefore much quicker to get what they want by going around the rules and laws. This is why people who have morals and ethics are very rarely in positions of power because they are too honest, not able to lie, tell the truth too much.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top