Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 03:07 PM

Re: Marriage - RIP

The Generations born from the 1980's on have a different take on marriage than us older folks do. They do not like to be "tied down." It is not only marriage, but it also applies to home ownership. I think the biggest part of the change is that women are feeling more empowered and do not "need" the protection of a man and the stability of a marriage. I think that young men do not want the responsibility of what we consider "traditional" marriage. Times change.

When I was married in 1971, at age 19, I wanted a wife, a home, children and a good job. My kids are middle aged, my son was recently married, but will probably not have children.

My daughter has not married an is an independent, very successful scientist. She likes setting her own rules, making her own decisions and does not want someone else interfering with her life. She has traveled all over the world from Alaska to Antarctica, Scotland to Hawaii, and enjoys her freedom. Even though I would surely love for her to be close by, and I would love to have grandchildren, I respect and support here lifestyle and her choices. My wife and I gave her life, but it is hers to live as she sees fit.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 04:38 PM

Our 30th wedding anniversary is coming up between Crimbo and New Year, and I still love the gorgeous one to bits.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I think many choose to live together these days. I have done marriage once, never again. Once was enough!

I’d rather spend money on a better house than spend it all in one day, on a show off wedding for ‘other people’.

Then you wouldn’t have to choose between inviting the guests for the day meal and the ‘plate lickers’ for the night do!
But Art there doesn’t have to be a big show . Surely a marriage is a commitment to each other not a case of putting on a good show.
My friends son had a big flashy wedding he’s still paying it off and the marriage collapsed within a couple of years .
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Register office or simple church you don’t need the trimmings.
Spot on there Muddy. I married my lady in an outer London RO and we followed the RO with a small gathering for nibbles & drink; then swiftly onwards for a week away in Devon before starting married life together. That was 52+yrs ago and I have not regretted the life changing event for a single day. In fact I think it was the making of me because she gave me a cast iron reason to succeed in life and succeed I did.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
But Art there doesn’t have to be a big show . Surely a marriage is a commitment to each other not a case of putting on a good show.
My friends son had a big flashy wedding he’s still paying it off and the marriage collapsed within a couple of years .
No you don’t, Muddy but these days it seems to be the norm and expected.

I used to believe in marriage. The thought of living in sin abhorred me.
Thirty years roll on and l’m getting divorced. The divorce was the worst thing. The solicitors, delve, find and rip into everything and you pay heavily for the pleasure!
After my divorce, there wasn’t a day, l didn’t sob my heart out.

Never again, will l go through that.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top