Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 08:16 AM

Aldi is going to give away food

Christmas Eve .
There must be charities out there who could use it I suppose if they are ready on Christmas Eve.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifest...y8OHA_ZNM3-usA
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 09:10 AM

Re: Aldi is going to give away food

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Christmas Eve .
There must be charities out there who could use it I suppose if they are ready on Christmas Eve.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifest...y8OHA_ZNM3-usA
All supermarkets should give fresh food away, that they haven't sold, otherwise it is wasted.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 01:57 PM

To be fair some supermarkets do donate to Food banks

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/food-was...597063.article
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
All supermarkets should give fresh food away, that they haven't sold, otherwise it is wasted.
Someone has to pick it up Twink and put it somewhere ( if it’s going to charity ) and all the supermarkets open until late these days .
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 03:45 PM

You people are so out of touch regarding foodbanks, poverty etc.

Supermarkets have been donating excess food that hasn't been sold for years now.

Go Google the Fareshare website.

If Aldi is just starting to do it, good on them but they are years behind their competitors.

Sadly this whole process doesn't work that well.

A lot of excess food are things like bags of donuts and pastries that are going out of date. Whilst the street people will happily eat this stuff it's not a good diet for them.

Other times the supermarkets give you a crate load of old cabbages or some other veg that is about to go out of date. What are people supposed to do with that? Make cabbage soup ?

Having worked in support centres cooking weekly meals for up to 20+ people I know how useless these supermarket donations generally are for charities and help centres. To cook effectively and efficiently for large numbers of people you need a guaranteed set of ingredients and a requisite quantity of them for the number of people you are feeding.

A hotch potch of different items here and there doesn't cut it.

I have tried operating via the "Ready Steady Cook" see what's in the bag approach and it doesn't work.

Cooking meals for street people requires a level of preplanning and organisation. You can't do that if you have no idea what supermarkets are going to toss you and when most of the time there's not a consistent amount of anything to make a reasonable meal.

Aside from that I come back to the same old point about charities, support centres who are providing services to street people. All we are doing is making that lifestyle more and more comfortable and attractive such that those people are happy to keep living it. These people need proper rehab to get them off drink and drug addictions, not cosy pandering with constant hot meals and drinks.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Aside from that I come back to the same old point about charities, support centres who are providing services to street people. All we are doing is making that lifestyle more and more comfortable and attractive such that those people are happy to keep living it. These people need proper rehab to get them off drink and drug addictions, not cosy pandering with constant hot meals and drinks.

And how do you suggest 'proper rehab' is best done?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
And how do you suggest 'proper rehab' is best done?
Well it might be a good start for the government to invest in rehabilitation centres where these people can get help and sort themselves out rather than living on the street forever more. More help for those with mental health problems would be another way to help.

Doing that would immediately mean less police time wasted being 'councillors' etc. This would also mean 'druggies' and alcoholics would not need to clog up the A&E departments in hospitals as they do. The longer-term benefits would also be that these people could find useful roles in society, there would also be less crime as there would not be all these people having to steal to feed their habits.

There are ways and means, if only government would see what is happening in society, rather than just concentrating on living their own privileged lives and lining their own nests, while blaming others for what is happening!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 06:05 PM

Thank you Baz.

Can't see it happening though - can you?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

16-12-2019, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Supermarkets have been donating excess food that hasn't been sold for years now.

Go Google the Fareshare website.

If Aldi is just starting to do it, good on them but they are years behind their competitors.

Sadly this whole process doesn't work that well.

A lot of excess food are things like bags of donuts and pastries that are going out of date. Whilst the street people will happily eat this stuff it's not a good diet for them.

Other times the supermarkets give you a crate load of old cabbages or some other veg that is about to go out of date. What are people supposed to do with that? Make cabbage soup ?

Having worked in support centres cooking weekly meals for up to 20+ people I know how useless these supermarket donations generally are for charities and help centres. To cook effectively and efficiently for large numbers of people you need a guaranteed set of ingredients and a requisite quantity of them for the number of people you are feeding.

A hotch potch of different items here and there doesn't cut it.

I have tried operating via the "Ready Steady Cook" see what's in the bag approach and it doesn't work.

Cooking meals for street people requires a level of preplanning and organisation. You can't do that if you have no idea what supermarkets are going to toss you and when most of the time there's not a consistent amount of anything to make a reasonable meal.

We are not out of touch these issues had occurred to me too .
What to do with a random selection of vegetables late at night .
Actually soup is probably the best bet .
As we cannot provide adequate rehab - rebab must require a certain amount of cooperation from the people concerned we may as well provide food for them .
As I am sure you know the life expectancy of rough sleepers is not long .
I am glad to hear that all supermarkets give away stuff .
It may not be the perfect diet but it’s food .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2019, 07:50 PM

I am surprised that supermarkets let the homeless have out of day food. With Health and Safety rules and people suing them, you'd think they wouldn’t allow it?

I only say this, as l once picked up a Thornton’s chocolate cake in a supermarket and noticed it was one day out of date. The manager said, they had to dump it in case someone bought it, was ill and sued them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top