Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2019, 10:43 AM

Re: Making a new will

our next door neighbours has just made their wills and all that was required was someone independent to witness their signatures, which we did.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2019, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Absolutely no Power of Attorney.

There is no way I will be in a nursing home or having Dementia.

I hope you are right swims the same as I would hope for all of us .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
our next door neighbours has just made their wills and all that was required was someone independent to witness their signatures, which we did.
Hi

Yep, making a Will is a Con, so easy to do.

Just register it at minimum cost.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Correct but if you want power of attorney you can do .
You can also get one from WHSmith .

The government also supplies forms online

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...er-of-attorney
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
A friend was telling me last evening that she and her husband went to a solicitor to draw up a new will and were told they HAD to have a Power of Attorney to accompany the will - something to do with identity theft, data privacy etc etc.

Can anyone confirm or not?
Lindy 3 weeks ago I went to make a will under the 'Will Aid ' scheme which some solicitors take part in every November. The fee for drawing up the will go to the local Hospice not the solicitor.
I have been reluctant to make a will, my experience with solicitors has not been a good one and after my husband died without making a will I sorted things out myself by obtaining letters of administration following 3 months of inertia from the solicitor I instructed. It took me 3 days to sort things out.

Having discussed my wishes for my will with the solicitor he then suggested I arranged POA at the same time, I told him I would sort that out as and when it became evident that the measure was necessary and not until.

He then suggested checks to make sure my house was registered with the land registry. I guessed having agree to be part of the Will Aid scheme he was using that to sell 'other products'. I told him quite politely I was there to make a will nothing else. He said no more on the issue.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2019, 11:42 AM

I also thought it was a money-grabbing exercise by the solicitor but thought I'd ask on here in case I'd missed some new legal requirement - so if anyone has recently seen a solicitor about a will, can you please confirm?

Yes. I can confirm that Lindyloo.

Did my new will 2 weeks ago with a solicitor, and no POA whatsoever.

My friend however, used a will writer instead, and got hooked into doing POA.

It is not an enforceable requirement at all, but an optional one.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2019, 11:42 AM

POAs have their uses.

It's easy to think oh it's OK, if something happened to me my next of kin would take care of everything but supposing (and this is especially pertinent with couples) there was an accident that involved both of you and you were both physically and/or mentally incapacitated at the same time.

This is when your Attorney (and in this instance your attorney is somebody specified by you, someone you trust, not your solicitor) takes over so they can pay your bills, make medical decisions (if necessary) and keep things ticking over until you are back on your feet.

I have 2 POAs, one is financial, my sister in law is my attorney for that. The other one is health and welfare. My sister is attorney on that as I know she knows what I would want as far as medical intervention is concerned and she would have the guts to switch my machines off!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2019, 12:42 PM

I also thought it was a money-grabbing exercise by the solicitor but thought I'd ask on here in case I'd missed some new legal requirement - so if anyone has recently seen a solicitor about a will, can you please confirm?
I'm one who made a new will this year.
My solicitor had outlined POA as a matter of course .

As Nicol said there are 2 parts to it but
unfortunately I don't have one single person I could impose
upon or trust to do either.
If the senior partners of the firm were appointed the charge at this moment in time would be £300 per hour .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top