Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 02:01 PM

Anyone remember TB sanitariums?

I I'm of an age that I do. I also remember hearing of when people were compelled to go to them if they had consumption though I can't remember anyone still being sent. Then along came a medical cure and things changed though TB is now being brought in by illegals and even cases of Hansen's disease are appearing in the UK in places one might expect.

The point is that will covid sanitariums be introduced to take people who refuse to self isolate off the streets? Because to me it is becoming very clear that very soon real intervention is going to be required.

So anyone remember the TB isolation hospitals?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 03:07 PM

Re: Anyone remember TB sanitariums?

I do. There was one just a couple of miles from where we lived when I was but a mere ankle snapper. It's official name was the Moxley Isolation hospital. It stood in its own grounds that we used to sneak into to fish in the lake there.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 06:54 PM

I remember one about 10 miles from where we lived , my mother told me that my grandfather was in ww1, and when he came home , he had TB .he was sent to the sanitarium , where he died.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 07:06 PM

Used to be one close to where I was brought up. I remember having that multi-needle gadget stuck in my left forearm to see if I reacted to the presumably, mild dose of TB. I was the only one in my class that didn't need the TB vaccination . As you say, the disease was eradicated in the UK until the increase in unchecked immigration, now it is almost rife in London and other high immigrant areas once again.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I I'm of an age that I do. I also remember hearing of when people were compelled to go to them if they had consumption though I can't remember anyone still being sent. Then along came a medical cure and things changed though TB is now being brought in by illegals and even cases of Hansen's disease are appearing in the UK in places one might expect.

The point is that will covid sanitariums be introduced to take people who refuse to self isolate off the streets? Because to me it is becoming very clear that very soon real intervention is going to be required.

Yes we had one just round the corner from our house ! It was called
Wandle Valley isolation hospital , and had been used a tropical
fever hospital previously to treat soldiers that had been abroad !!
After WW2 it became an old age home,( non private)!
And it was where l met my future wife, mrs Donkeylady, at a hospital
dance !!

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 10:52 PM

I do remember the TB hospitals in the UK.

My first wife had TB in her spine when she was a child in the Midlands and spent the first few years of her life in hospital in Wednesbury.

When I first came to Australia in the mid 60s I was required by law to have a chest Xray within one month of arrival as they were dedicated to wiping out TB.

While Australia now has one of the lowest tuberculosis (TB) incidence rates in the world, TB was once a leading cause of death in Australia and was a focus for public health policy during the first half of the 20th century.

The North Head Quarantine Station has become a tourist attraction because of its unique location at the entrance to Sydney Harbour.

David P
South Oxfordshire
David P is male  David P has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->

I do. My mum used to clean evenings in the isolation hospital in Oxford. My dad also worked as a night shift caretaker. I was taken there as a child because there was no child care in those days, I remember rows of patients on beds in open corridors in all weathers, obviously when it was not raining. The nurse told us the cooler weather was therapeutic.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2020, 11:39 PM

I remember my family talking about all the young people dying of TB of which there was no cure.

They went to sanitariums and had to sleep outside in their beds in the fresh air.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 08:20 AM

I remember a building up high on a hill in a village near where l lived, where people went to when they had TB. It was referred to as the Chest Hospital.

My friend went to work there and she took me round. The patients at the time, went there when had chronic chest ailments. l remember most of them were spitting into a glass or plastic container that had lots of phlegm in them.

Just along the road from it, was an asylum, where patients with mental issues or unmarried mothers went to. Many used to hang themselves in trees in the grounds or walk in front of a train on a railway nearby.
The two buildings have now been demolished and are now housing estates.

My mother’s brothers and sisters got TB and two of them died. To protect her, my mother was sent away to live with her two aunts and never returned home again.
I am sure this must have happened a lot, in families with TB in those days.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 02:07 PM

Hi

Yes' an essential part of training back in the day.

https://huddersfield.exposed/wiki/Br...orium,_Bradley

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top