Join for free
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 12:26 PM

It Is RUOK Day In Australia Today.

My son raised money for the Black Dog Institute charity by jumping 14000 feet out of an aeroplane today.
He did it for a friend who committed suicide last year.

I wondered if any of our members, especially, Australian members knew about this charity and that it was a fundraising day.

Quote from Wikipedia......

R U OK? is an Australian non-profit suicide prevention organisation, founded by advertiser Gavin Larkin in 2009. It revolves around the slogan "R U OK?" (are you okay?), and advocates for people to have conversations with others. The organisation has a dedicated R U OK? Day, held annually on the second Thursday of September, which encourages Australians to connect with people who have emotional insecurity, to address social isolation and promote community cohesiveness.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 01:19 PM

Re: It Is RUOK Day In Australia Today.

Yes in fact my wife has been the beneficiary of a number of RUOK cherios this weekend as she lost one of her oldest and closest friends on Friday. A one off grief rather than an ongoing emotional things but appreciated nevertheless.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 01:21 PM

I have heard of it I think RUOK day was a week ago but I could be wrong.

https://www.ruok.org.au/

There are a few organisations Lifeline of course, Beyond Blue and Black Dog Institute

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/

https://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/

Youth suicide is a problem especially in country towns and indigenous communities
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Yes in fact my wife has been the beneficiary of a number of RUOK cherios this weekend as she lost one of her oldest and closest friends on Friday. A one off grief rather than an ongoing emotional things but appreciated nevertheless.
Keezoy, I am sorry to hear of your wife’s sad news.

I think it is a great thing to remember people who in their turmoil and despair have taken their own lives.
This special day is doing something positive and never forgetting them.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

19-09-2020, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have heard of it I think RUOK day was a week ago but I could be wrong.

https://www.ruok.org.au/

There are a few organisations Lifeline of course, Beyond Blue and Black Dog Institute

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/

https://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/

Youth suicide is a problem especially in country towns and indigenous communities
Bruce, After posting this thread and finding the Wikipedia page about RUOK Day, l realised that l may have been wrong saying it was today. It was then too late to alter the thread title.
Added to the fact that my son did the plane jump today, l presumed today was RUOK Day.

I apologise for my mistake.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 03:16 PM

What a kind-hearted young man, Art. I know you must be proud of him, and the work of this organization.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

19-09-2020, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
What a kind-hearted young man, Art. I know you must be proud of him, and the work of this organization.
Surfermom, Thank You.

Suicide is a subject that is close to my son’s heart.

I did post about it on here some years ago about my son Daniel and his colleague walking into a tower block in Sydney, Australia when a bottle came hurtling down at them.
They looked up and young man was sitting on the top floor with his legs dangling over the edge.

Daniel went up to the top of the building to talk to the young man while his colleague contacted the emergency services.
The young man who was only about the same age as Daniel told him, he didn’t want to live anymore.

Daniel spoke to him and coaxed him to come away from the edge. This he did and Daniel led him down to safety.
Just then the police arrived and held the young man but somehow he managed to break free and ran up to the roof edge again.

Daniel went after him, spoke to him and held him to lead him away but suddenly the man lurched forward, nearly taking Daniel with him, as he was holding him tightly.
He lurched forward again and Daniel lost his grip and the man fell to his death.
Daniel was traumatised about it for a while as he felt he hadn’t saved the man. He couldn’t even talk about it and couldn’t sleep as he felt he’d failed him.

Daniel and his friend got a Bravey Award for what they did on that day.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Bruce, After posting this thread and finding the Wikipedia page about RUOK Day, l realised that l may have been wrong saying it was today. It was then too late to alter the thread title.
Added to the fact that my son did the plane jump today, l presumed today was RUOK Day.

I apologise for my mistake.
You don't need to apologise, I wasn't being critical in fact I wasn't that sure myself, I just vaguely remember hearing about it on the radio.

It's a very sad comment on our society when so many young people feel the need to end their lives.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top