Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 08:47 PM

Re: Success or Failure

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Practice allows you to try all different methods Longdogs, and choosing the best method on the day....
Success to me was not necessarily winning but completing a difficult and enduring course. For me, just finishing a marathon is a success, but if you were Mo Farah not winning would be failure.

I think 'Success' means different things to different people.
Success in sport?
Success in business?
Success in wealth?
Success on the stock market?
Success in happiness?
Success in love?
Success in the music industry?
Success as a dancer?
Success in politics?
I don't think money is the success that some people think it is....
No, I don't think money is everything either although it does help quite a bit. It is strange though how as time goes by sports people improve, getting faster and better. Obviously some of that is down to equipment; footwear, rackets, etc.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Take foxy for example, if he ran a marathon in a time that he was satisfied with, then he would claim a success, if, however the elastic went in his shorts, then that would be a failure...
Ha ha Primus....
But unless I was apprehended by plod, I would still continue and finish......Completion is everything....

A lady friend of mine actually crossed the finish line with one of her breasts hanging loose.....She was rather well endowed though....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ooh I say Dongle, there's some deep thoughts going on there.

It's a funny old question when you think about it, isn't it.
I think we learn from both, - failures and successes - but the emotions that go with them both are very different.

Do you think that very often if we succeed, we mentally congratulate ourselves, give ourselves a pat on the back, and feel proud.
Yet when we fail, we blame everyone else.
I know, see, I can do it when pushed.

I like to be successful in whatever I try but if I don't think it's possible, I wouldn't try it. i would never try dancing for instance. A mental pat on the back is fine btw.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 08:53 PM

A lady friend of mine actually crossed the finish line with one of her breasts hanging loose.....She was rather well endowed though....

And all the men finished 0.0001 seconds behind her
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-09-2020, 08:57 PM

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2020, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
No, I don't think money is everything either although it does help quite a bit. It is strange though how as time goes by sports people improve, getting faster and better. Obviously some of that is down to equipment; footwear, rackets, etc.
And 'Diet' is most important Longdogs. One of things I meant when I said trying things out in practice. I once 'Carbo Loaded' for one of my marathons. It turned out to be the fastest one I ran.

Back in the day when Roger Bannister ran the first sub four minute mile they had some very strange ideas about what was the best thing to eat before a run. I think the biggest breakthrough in sporting achievement is down to a better understanding of diet and Kenyan's.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-09-2020, 09:00 PM

I overtook her and waited with baited breath on the finish line.....
Photos available by request.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-09-2020, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Nothing in this world succeeds quite like a budgie with no beak. (Old Manchester "joke")

Or:- Hello, my name is Cess.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-09-2020, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
And 'Diet' is most important Longdogs. One of things I meant when I said trying things out in practice. I once 'Carbo Loaded' for one of my marathons. It turned out to be the fastest one I ran.

Back in the day when Roger Bannister ran the first sub four minute mile they had some very strange ideas about what was the best thing to eat before a run. I think the biggest breakthrough in sporting achievement is down to a better understanding of diet and Kenyan's.....
Yes, I hadn't thought of that. Diet is tailored to the person these days whereas in the days before Bannister, they all ate dripping.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-09-2020, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, I hadn't thought of that. Diet is tailored to the person these days whereas in the days before Bannister, they all ate dripping.
And 'Runner Beans!'.....

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top