Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2013, 11:06 AM

A Case of The Plague Has Been Found

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/plague-infe...l?vp=1#0Ir9xDa

Are we sure that modern medicine can cope with this disease? What about countries that don't have advanced medical facilities?

Is this scientists messing about with biological warfare stuff again and every so often these squirrels escape?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2013, 12:34 PM

Re: A Case of The Plague Has Been Found

Trouble is with travel these days a plague would wipe out half the world before we even found where it came from, we live near a BIBRA site here and when they have "accidents" it's blooming scary. We are never told what they are testing could be anything in there waiting to get out.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2013, 05:02 PM

I'd never heard of BIBRA so had to look it up - should they have something like that close to a populated area?

I didn't even know there were still cases of the plague either.

We are never told what they are testing could be anything in there waiting to get out.
That should, imo, never be carried out anywhere near a populated area.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I'd never heard of BIBRA so had to look it up - should they have something like that close to a populated area?

I didn't even know there were still cases of the plague either.

That should, imo, never be carried out anywhere near a populated area.

Karen darlin' - you'd be surprised what 'nasties' are being bred by our and the American military to wage 'biological war' against our perceived enemies.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

26-07-2013, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Karen darlin' - you'd be surprised what 'nasties' are being bred by our and the American military to wage 'biological war' against our perceived enemies.
Not sure I want to know Uncle Joe - I can get really paranoid about stuff like that
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2013, 05:57 PM

They have had cases of the plague in America, I believe they were in The Deep South. They appeared naturally though, as far as I know. They have plague victims buried in some cold country, in the ice, so they can source it for research. It doesn't die with the host apparently. I may be wrong but I saw a program about it quite recently.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2013, 09:48 AM

I was just going to say the same. In the USA about 7 people a year get the plague, mainly in the Western/Southern States. Only about 10% of people die with it nowadays. Having read about the 1300's Black Plague, it wiped out nearly half the population of Europe although they still have reports that only a third died. I also read that because most of the European people alive today had ancestors who survived the Plague we wouldn't be as effected by that disease as say a Continent that never had the Plague.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2013, 01:54 PM

Time to cull the grey squirrels, they are not native to Britain anyway.

My OH had a book I think written in the 30's which said that the Raccoon was more common here than the grey squirrel.
How times have changed, never seen a wild raccoon but plenty of grey squirrels.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

28-07-2013, 02:22 PM

Agree Valice - I'd love to see the back of the grey squirrel and bring back our own red one.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2013, 02:53 PM

Nooooo only time I have seen a red squirrel I thought they looked horribly scruffy and thin, we have big plump bushy greys here, love them ! We buy chipmunk food and feed them all winter to make sure they keep coming to the garden, they love peanuts and watching them unwrap a monkey nut is greatly amusing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top