Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 04:43 PM

Re: Dash Board Camera

My old nextbase dashcam in my van was always left in situ due to the fact that it was diabolical to remove the thing. My new `Maisi` model from Amazon is far superior - not only is the quality of video better, it has a lever-lock to secure it to the windscreen which can be unlock ed and removed in seconds. It also has GPS and impact detection built in.

Mine is attached fairly low down on the windscreen in front of where a passenger might sit and the supply cable just hangs down before plugging into the cigar/accessory socket.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
My old nextbase dashcam in my van was always left in situ due to the fact that it was diabolical to remove the thing. My new `Maisi` model from Amazon is far superior - not only is the quality of video better, it has a lever-lock to secure it to the windscreen which can be unlock ed and removed in seconds. It also has GPS and impact detection built in.

Mine is attached fairly low down on the windscreen in front of where a passenger might sit and the supply cable just hangs down before plugging into the cigar/accessory socket.
Seems like a good'un .....

Amazon, apparently, are selling it at a massive 65% discount:

Price: £199.99
Sale: £69.99 & FREE Delivery in the UK.
You Save: £130.00 (65%)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dashboard-C.../dp/B010LN6F7C
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2016, 08:47 PM

Aye, that's the one Omah - comes with software to watch the video and a map to see your location too although you can just watch the footage with Media Player.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
The thing to remember with dash cams is , they have a built in event recorder, this records an event such as a rear end shunt, although you may not have any footage as the camera is pointing forwards, it will register that an event happened and will record , the time that it happened, your speed, your location(GPS) and the severity of the impact ( motion sensor) this will automatically be logged on the SD card, all can be used in the event of an insurance claim, just make sure the dashcam your buying has this some dont
I tend to disagree here. You could well incriminate yourself if you have your speed recorded in the footage. Equally GPS creates an historical track of your speed and actions.

Neither are particularly vital to any insurance claim imo.
Accidents do not happen because of speed. They happen because one or more drivers have been negligent and taken some poor action (or failed to act) resulting in a crash.

All that is needed by the dashcam is to record those actions in order to assess who is liable.

Equally, collision auto recording is a pointless facility. If you have a crash then quite obviously you are going to review that footage same day and make a copy of it. There is therefore absolutely no chance at all that loop recording is going to overwrite that footage. These are all marketing gimmicks to try to make you favour a product.

All you need is good resolution recording capability, in night and day time, loop recording, and a decent sized and reliable flash card.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 05:18 PM

I agree with you realist your speed is recorded on the camera, so yes you could be incriminating yourself in the event of an accident, some camera's allow this feature to be turned off
GPS could be handy if you had to prove you were were you said you were when all the dust has settled and people have had a chance to think, rare I agree but you never know
If you are involved in an accident, say hit from behind , the camera records this as an, event, and cannot be recorded over until you re format the card
As most people have a front camera only, they are equipped with a shock sensor that identifies the angle of the impact, your front facing camera won't see the vehicle that hits you if its not in its field of vision
As more people buy dash cams manufacturers will be fitting them (as an option no doubt) in the future, indeed I think Citroen's new c3 has this option to have a built in camera when ordering
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You could well incriminate yourself if you have your speed recorded in the footage.
I agree with you realist your speed is recorded on the camera, so yes you could be incriminating yourself in the event of an accident
Presumably, you will only be incriminating yourself if you are breaking the law by speeding .....
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Presumably, you will only be incriminating yourself if you are breaking the law by speeding .....
Of course
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

01-09-2016, 06:37 PM

Of course
Well, I avoid incrimination by not speeding ..... so I can always use my dashcam recordings as evidence, in their entirety .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Well, I avoid incrimination by not speeding ..... so I can always use my dashcam recordings as evidence, in their entirety .....
Good point. Me too.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2016, 09:16 PM

GPS could be handy if you had to prove you were were you said you were when all the dust has settled and people have had a chance to think, rare I agree but you never know
Nope. GPS is pointless. If you had your dashcam running then there will be the entire footage of your journey showing exactly how you travelled to reach the point where the accident occurred. No ambiguity possible TBH unless you are driving through a desert or somewhere with absolutely no recognisable landmarks and of course devoid of road signs. GPS just adds a totally unnecessary expense.

If you are involved in an accident, say hit from behind , the camera records this as an, event, and cannot be recorded over until you re format the card
Yep I get that but as I pointed out (or tried to) it's a pointless gimmick because once you have had an accident, the very first thing you are going to do is remove the flash card or connect the cam to your PC as soon as you get home to both review the footage and make a copy of it. You'd be a total Dill not to do that. There is absolutely no chance that you would continue running your dashcam on loop for the next week without taking a copy of the accident so an overwrite is just not gonna happen is it? Sales gimmick, nothing more.

As most people have a front camera only, they are equipped with a shock sensor that identifies the angle of the impact, your front facing camera won't see the vehicle that hits you if its not in its field of vision
If the front camera can't see someone running into the back of you then you have nothing of any use either way. What use is a shock sensor telling you that someone ran into the back of you if there is no footage of it? The front cam will quite readily show the impact from the jolt so again, just a gimmick.

All you need is reliable loop recording, decent sized flash card and a camera that is extremely small and portable.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top