Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 09:56 AM

Britain's Pensioners

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/p...y-7827985.html

It would seem that Britain's pensioners remain the some of the poorest pensioners in Europe - why is this continuing? We hear people saying, quite often, that 'Britain is one of the wealthiest countries' so why are elderly people being driven to the brink of poverty and having to choose between food or heating?

Anyone who can explain this to me, I'd be very grateful:

'People are defined as being at risk of poverty if their disposable income is below 60 per cent of the UK median disposable income.'
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 10:11 AM

Re: Britain's Pensioners

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
http://www.independent.co.uk/money/p...y-7827985.html

It would seem that Britain's pensioners remain the some of the poorest pensioners in Europe - why is this continuing? We hear people saying, quite often, that 'Britain is one of the wealthiest countries' so why are elderly people being driven to the brink of poverty and having to choose between food or heating?

Anyone who can explain this to me, I'd be very grateful:

'People are defined as being at risk of poverty if their disposable income is below 60 per cent of the UK median disposable income.'

Because Karen darlin' - our pensions have not kept pace with inflation. Previously, pensions were increased annually either by the rate of inflation or the percentage rise in average earnings (whichever was the greater). One of Thatcher's (phth, phth,phth) first acts as Prime Minister was to drop the link between pensions and earnings, so that pensions were only increased by the rate of inflation. That too was, for a period halted and pensions were not increased at all, despite the fact that inflation and hence the COST OF LIVING continued to rise.

Re-establishing the link between pensions and average earnings were being discussed (but never implemented) during Bliar's premiership. Cameron promised to re-establish the link to average earnings too (yet another broken promise).
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 10:15 AM

Uncle Joe - is that what the median disposable income bit means?

Also, as we're often referred to as a rich nation, where are all those riches that keep being referred to?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 11:58 AM

The problem is the riches are not spread around NMW is a joke, it was supposed to be the minimum a person could be paid and is now the normal rate for many many jobs. We then for a lucky few top that up with working tax benefit.

Pensions are also a joke and we are told to save for retirement ourselves but with wages as low as they are we are not able to do so.

Why does the government support so many with working tax benefit this keep wages down IMO and the knock on effect is pensioners are getting poorer too.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Uncle Joe - is that what the median disposable income bit means?

Also, as we're often referred to as a rich nation, where are all those riches that keep being referred to?

Karen darlin' - the riches that were, have been handed out to Mrs Windsor (also a pensioner) - remember, earlier this year she was given (by Cameron) a huge increase (over £5 million) in her allowance.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2013, 01:03 PM

Oh yes of course only the royal have the money Couldn't be big businesses or anyone else !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

03-06-2013, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Oh yes of course only the royal have the money Couldn't be big businesses or anyone else !

Yes Julie, them too, but their theft (from us) is somewhat more subtle than the Government just handing over the £5 million to Mrs Windsor.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-06-2013, 01:22 PM

As I pointed out the other day the increase went towards wages for the staff who are not that well paid anyway but if you wish to see them earning less then shame on you.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

03-06-2013, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
As I pointed out the other day the increase went towards wages for the staff who are not that well paid anyway but if you wish to see them earning less then shame on you.
No Julie I want to see an end to their work entirely, since I want Mr & Mrs Windsor and their brood out of 'Buck House' (and every other Palace) and let them live on the same money as every other pensioner.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-06-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
No Julie I want to see an end to their work entirely, since I want Mr & Mrs Windsor and their brood out of 'Buck House' (and every other Palace) and let them live on the same money as every other pensioner.
That's even worse put them on the dole !

I really hate the politics of envy we should be looking at ways to make us all better not bring others down to our level.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top