Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2013, 12:44 PM

Giving up on the minutiae of life and car parking spaces

Hi everyone - I thought this was better suited to the grumpy corner and hopefully the reason will be revealed.

I was listening to the radio yesterday and the presenter was talking about the very sad news of Iain Banks and how he's asked his partner to be his "widow". The presenter went on to say that she thought he'd accepted his up and coming demise and was dealing with the important things in life and how sad it is that we all can't live that way.

I too want to give up on the minutiae of life but find it really difficult to just darn well let things go, for example I don't have dedicated car parking - my neighbours either side of me both have two cars each so it's an extraordinary battle to park outside my house. I don't own the road, my car comes to no harm when it's parked further up the road and yet it drives me nuts. I try to tell myself that I didn't wake up this morning with the news that Iain Banks has to face each and everyday so why on earth can't I just let this kind of irrelevant and inconsequential daily irritations in life just pass me by?

Are others obsessed with the minutiae and inconsequential irrelevancies of life?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2013, 01:09 PM

Re: Giving up on the minutiae of life and car parking spaces

The short answer to that is Yes Maybe surroundings have a lot to do with it, for me - I'm surrounded by NIMBYs and 'let others do the dirty work' and an obvious 'dont care attitude' - drives me barmy Also we see massive amounts of idiots on TV - and I think 'I just cant cope anymore - Other than that - I'm fine......
Hardly petty these things - so I guess I'm not so bothered by the 'little' things.....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2013, 02:04 PM

I have a very live and let live relaxed attitude to the silly little things in life, so what if someone parks in my spot I just find another. Someone wants to over take I pull over and let them go. I refuse to get het up about things so petty.

Too much good in life to worry about the petty.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2013, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
Hi everyone - I thought this was better suited to the grumpy corner and hopefully the reason will be revealed.

I was listening to the radio yesterday and the presenter was talking about the very sad news of Iain Banks and how he's asked his partner to be his "widow". The presenter went on to say that she thought he'd accepted his up and coming demise and was dealing with the important things in life and how sad it is that we all can't live that way.

I too want to give up on the minutiae of life but find it really difficult to just darn well let things go, for example I don't have dedicated car parking - my neighbours either side of me both have two cars each so it's an extraordinary battle to park outside my house. I don't own the road, my car comes to no harm when it's parked further up the road and yet it drives me nuts. I try to tell myself that I didn't wake up this morning with the news that Iain Banks has to face each and everyday so why on earth can't I just let this kind of irrelevant and inconsequential daily irritations in life just pass me by?

Are others obsessed with the minutiae and inconsequential irrelevancies of life?
I have the same problem with parking, so I sympathize. My neighbours have garages yet told the council not to allow my disabled space on the road as "it's wouldn't be fair to able bodied people who want to park there". My sister has cancer and I've got lots of more important problems, but, I still get irritated. I think we focus on trivial things to distract from other things.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2013, 06:33 PM

You could be right Twizzle, but the irritation doesn't last long for me - the 'bigger' things always take over....
fitou143
Essex
fitou143 is male  fitou143 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2013, 07:01 PM

I saw a post recently on the forum can't remember where or by whom, but is was a link to you tube for Amanda Gore an Australian it made laugh and I watched a few others of hers have a look at this and see if it makes you think differently it is funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6VtZhrsPd4
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2013, 07:15 PM

yes I have a degree of OCD and I think they go together.

I am better than I used to be and no longer get out of bed at night to check the linen is all in straight lines in the airing cupboard
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2013, 10:03 AM

Yes Baxter8, sadly I too feel like that. For example, out of an estate of 36 flats, 18 of which face a church where we experience much disturbance from noise, the car parking and the general attitude of the followers, only TWO of us bother to actively complain.

We have problems with our bin store area where idiots chuck rubbish onto the floor, blokes turn up in vans (or people on foot) to rummage through the bins, again chucking out what they don't want. Clean up operations cost us about £300 a time.

My new noisy neighbours upstairs who very often leave the main outer door so it's not shut properly, thereby creating a security risk.

No one else 'notices' the tenants banging their flat door so don't back me up.

I quite often wonder why I get so wound up about all this!! And ask myself, when did I turn into such a moaning Minnie (and grumpy old woman)?!!

When my sleep and evening tv watching are disturbed...that's when!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2013, 11:10 AM

Sometimes Jazzi, you have to have a moan in order to change things that are upsetting you.

I don't mind people parking outside my house as long as it isn't a work van; two people who have moved into the road where I live bring their work vans home and sometimes park them in front of my house! I don't want to look out of the window and feel I'm living in a lorry park - so I will take my car off the drive and block them in. I know they have a right to park on the road but I feel I have right not to have to look at their unsightly van.

If I've had washing out on the line and a neighbour lights a bonfire and declines to put it out until later in the evening when washing is in and windows are closed, I happily get the hose pipe and put it out for them. I don't see why my house should smell of bonfires and my washing have to be done again because other people are incosiderate.

I can be a moaner sometimes but it is usually the actions of other people that drive me to and that is the defence I shall stick to
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2013, 12:38 PM

You have to keep one eye on the Minutiae, "The Devil is in the Detail".

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top