Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 09:23 AM

Re: Giving up on the minutiae of life and car parking spaces

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
I suspect this sentence might be a giveaway as to why you don't really care?
Possibly but they have their own parking as well ...
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 09:49 AM

Its funny I get agitated over the small things, like when someone with a van parks in front of my house and blocks my view, (alright i only like to look out the window and be nosy) but why dont they block their own view. or someone overtaking me when i am already doing the speed limit (i always say outloud is 40 in your car quicker than 40 in my car) i have to laugh afterwards as i usually catch them up at the next traffic lights. Silly i know but hey ho
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
Its funny I get agitated over the small things, like when someone with a van parks in front of my house and blocks my view, (alright i only like to look out the window and be nosy) but why dont they block their own view. or someone overtaking me when i am already doing the speed limit (i always say outloud is 40 in your car quicker than 40 in my car) i have to laugh afterwards as i usually catch them up at the next traffic lights. Silly i know but hey ho
BIB: that is what the whole problem is with these vans. I've been told that there are more complaints about parking of vans in residential areas than any other form of parking complaint - so why don't the authorities put a stop to it!

I can remember a time (cue feeling old ) when it simply wasn't the done thing for people to take the work vans home! They were left and work and rightly so - unless there is some off-road parking for them somewhere out of sight.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
BIB: that is what the whole problem is with these vans. I've been told that there are more complaints about parking of vans in residential areas than any other form of parking complaint - so why don't the authorities put a stop to it!

I can remember a time (cue feeling old ) when it simply wasn't the done thing for people to take the work vans home! They were left and work and rightly so - unless there is some off-road parking for them somewhere out of sight.
Problem is people like my husband have no where to take their van and park it out of sight, his boss works out of a small premises and hasn't enough space for all the vans. If he could he would leave it at work as it's a worry here in case anyone breaks into it. Also self employed people often have no office as such they work from their homes.

I do sympathise with anyone not being able to see their view but presume this would be either for a short time or just over night. So not worth getting knickers in a twist over really.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 09:52 PM

Apparently, people are complaining a lot about work vans Julie - maybe when it was just the odd van or so here and there, people didn't mind but there are so many of them now.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2013, 09:49 AM

Yes but where do people expect them to be parked, many employers don't have vast premises anymore, so taking the van home is the only option. Or would they rather all the van drivers just be out of work ? Seems a little selfish to me to get worked up over someone else having a job !
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

09-04-2013, 09:52 AM

Our local supermarket used to let people park vans and lorries there overnight but they stopped doing that a few years ago which seems daft given that the car park is empty all night.

Are people getting worked up over someone having a job or are they getting worked up over having that person's van parked in front of their house and leaving them with a view of nothing but the van?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

09-04-2013, 10:03 AM

Well the two seem intertwined to me, van and job cannot be seperated. Really a view and when the person says it's because they are nosey not that they miss a fantastic landscape ?

Our local supermarkets stopped it because of people breaking into the vans. Insurance didn't pay out when vans were so far from the driver/owner etc.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

09-04-2013, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well the two seem intertwined to me, van and job cannot be seperated. Really a view and when the person says it's because they are nosey not that they miss a fantastic landscape ?

Our local supermarkets stopped it because of people breaking into the vans. Insurance didn't pay out when vans were so far from the driver/owner etc.
Ah, that's probably the reason - I hadn't thought of that.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2013, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
Its funny I get agitated over the small things, or someone overtaking me when i am already doing the speed limit (i always say outloud is 40 in your car quicker than 40 in my car) i have to laugh afterwards as i usually catch them up at the next traffic lights. Silly i know but hey ho
yes Shirley, I have met them and usually mutter "your car may be faster than mine, but mine's got indicators"

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top