Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 12:04 AM

Beef joints what cut do you buy ?

Just wondering what cut of beef you buy for your sunday roast

I always buy top side, top rump, and for special occasions Sirloin.

The reason i ask is today my sunday roast which was beef was horrible, i bought it from Sainsburys where i get most of my meat as its always nice, on closer inspection of the wrapping, after eating it, i picked up a joint that was silverside instead of my usual top rump, a mistake i won't be making again in a hurry.

If i had realised i would have pot roasted it in the slow cooker which would have helped.

The whole family noticed the lack of taste and the texture.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 12:20 AM

Re: Beef joints what cut do you buy ?

Like you Kitty, we buy the top side, top rump. Strangely enough we had a silverside the other week and it was awful - the dog had most of it.

What I do is, cook it on a low heat for an hour or so, depending on size, then whack the temp. up for the last half hour, then let stand out of the oven for 20 mins.

This is how I did it today, and the meat was so tender
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Berxer ->
Like you Kitty, we buy the top side, top rump. Strangely enough we had a silverside the other week and it was awful - the dog had most of it.

What I do is, cook it on a low heat for an hour or so, depending on size, then whack the temp. up for the last half hour, then let stand out of the oven for 20 mins.

This is how I did it today, and the meat was so tender
glad its not just me Carmen, i am angry with myself for picking up the wrong cut, and its a waste of just over £10.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 08:27 AM

Same here sirloin on the bone for special occasions otherwise topside or top rump.
I mostly buy from the farm shop or organic beef from Waitrose.

Silverside I would slow pot roast with vegetables .
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 08:55 AM

We gave up on being able to buy decent beef from the supermarkets, so now only buy it for special occasions from the local butcher. We buy the cheaper cuts for pies and mince for lasagne, but other than that we don't really eat beef, preferring chicken and fish more often...
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 09:36 AM

I also buy topside or top rump for roasting from Sainsburys. Also sometimes brisket to be cooked in the slow cooker for about 6-7 hours. It makes lovely gravy done that way
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 10:03 AM

Kitty darlin' since you have a slow cooker, why not 'roast' whatever joint of beef in that anyway. If you place joint in slow cooker Saturday night and switch on before you go to bed, it will be cooking whilst you're sleeping and the smell in the kitchen on Sunday morning is wonderful!!! I promise you, irrespective of the joint, the meat will be that tender, you won't be able to pick it up on a fork.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 10:44 AM

If I am roasting beef I like to get it pink inside and a slow cooker won't do that so I would personally only use the slow cooker for cheaper cuts which need long slow cooking.
Kitty
London

06-08-2012, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Kitty darlin' since you have a slow cooker, why not 'roast' whatever joint of beef in that anyway. If you place joint in slow cooker Saturday night and switch on before you go to bed, it will be cooking whilst you're sleeping and the smell in the kitchen on Sunday morning is wonderful!!! I promise you, irrespective of the joint, the meat will be that tender, you won't be able to pick it up on a fork.
if we are having beef i prefer it pink like Val, so i only use the slow cooker for cheaper cuts of any meat, but i would have done so with this joint if i had realised it was silverside.

another cut of beef which i get when the calm shop has any it blade of beef it makes a beautiful stew and great for meat pies.

Sainsburys meat is far better than another supermarket meat i have purchased and Waitrose as Meg said, but i don't often get time to shop there.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2012, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
We gave up on being able to buy decent beef from the supermarkets, so now only buy it for special occasions from the local butcher. We buy the cheaper cuts for pies and mince for lasagne, but other than that we don't really eat beef, preferring chicken and fish more often...
I am afraid supermarket meat is often poor quality because they are looking for a quick turnover so it is not hung sufficiently well to provide tenderness and flavour. This is where local butchers excel, they give the meat the attention and time it deserves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top