Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 10:28 AM

Re: It Was 20 Years Ago Today

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I've just googled ...

most successful olympics

and yes Sydney 2000 comes up.

I had no idea. 😐
Which survey was that d00d? I looked up several and none of them gave it to Sydney.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
Which survey was that d00d? I looked up several and none of them gave it to Sydney.
Very old argument. It's pretty passe now but as a Sydneysider it was special enough at the time to 5 million people in my home town. Everybody who was here had a ball and they were looked after as well as they were in any other city. But as I said before..(read back) I rest my case
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Very old argument. It's pretty passe now but as a Sydneysider it was special enough at the time to 5 million people in my home town. Everybody who was here had a ball and they were looked after as well as they were in any other city. But as I said before..(read back) I rest my case
Sorry keezoy. I was not trying to be argumentative. I am sure it was a wonderful spectacle to all who were there.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 11:22 AM

I don't know what you asked but googled it too and this came up as #1

http://www.thepostgame.com/best-olym...lona-la-london

Widely acknowledged as the most successful Games in Olympic history, unlike nearly all of the Games that have followed, Sydney was virtually free of controversy and multiple world and Olympic records were set. The Games were so good, in fact, that after then-IOC president Juan Antonio Samaranch declared Sydney "the best Games ever," the phrase was retired.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Google.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	13688  
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 11:28 AM

I just googled the three words without quotes:

most successful olympics

and a Google’s Featured Snippet came up tops with blurb from: http://www.thepostgame.com/best-olym...s%20were%20set.

EDIT .... Ah, Bruce has already answered.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 11:33 AM

How much money did the Sydney games lose? That's what really matters.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Ask google
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 11:44 AM

Who cares? It was 20 years ago.

You know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

A disused abattoir site on the Parramatta River became the Olympic Precinct, a new suburb, open space and parkland for Sydneysiders, motor race track, venue for the Royal Easter Show, new sports stadiums, an Aquatic Centre, the brick pit a tourist attraction and home for the Green and Golden Bell Frog,
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2020, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Who cares? It was 20 years ago.

You know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

A disused abattoir site on the Parramatta River became the Olympic Precinct, a new suburb, open space and parkland for Sydneysiders, motor race track, venue for the Royal Easter Show, new sports stadiums, an Aquatic Centre, the brick pit a tourist attraction and home for the Green and Golden Bell Frog,
Google tells me that the Sydney Olympics lost circa 1.3 BILLION Australian dollars!

Not too bad compared to the losses most (all?) other games lost. IMO waste of money - all of them.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

14-09-2020, 12:06 PM

Google tells me that the Sydney Olympics lost circa 1.3 BILLION Australian dollars!

Not too bad compared to the losses most (all?) other games lost. IMO waste of money - all of them.
As I said - You know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. Pretty cheap investment really.

As a whole, the Games are estimated to have brought about a Gross Domestic Product (GDP) uplift of between AUD $6-7 BILLION, creating over 100,000 new jobs and boosting the number of tourists by approximately 1.6 million per year.

A 6 times return on investment. What on earth are you whinging about? It not only made us all richer it was the best games ever!

Remember the old joke? What's the difference between a pommie and a Qantas jet? The Qantas jet stops whining when it get to Sydney airport. What's your next complaint?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top