Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 07:09 PM

Bird Feeders

My bird table is about to collapse, beyond help, my feeding station has developed a lean to one side, bent in the middle section.
Since I've been here (March) I have only had pigeons, crows and the occasional magpie in my garden looking for food.
I need a completely new feeding "centre".

I want to attract smaller birds, I have a tree near a tall hedge.
I was thinking of hanging feeders and something on the side of the shed, possibly a bracket fixing.

What do you all have?

Are there any feeders that attract certain types of birds, not expensive, possibly home made ?

I had lots of birds visiting in my old garden but then I was next to fields and very quiet. I'm surrounded by gardens here.

Suggestions please.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 08:28 PM

Re: Bird Feeders

Hi TessA...I have a Humming Bird feeder hanging from the roof over my verandah... It's lovely to watch them feeding so close, yet in nature...on a beautiful sunny day...

My niece's hubby in BC...works at The Home Depot...and is right into building birdcages in his spare time. When they have enough for sale...they take them to a flea market close by... Darlene, my niece, told me recently that hubby is also taking orders now...so it's apparently, quite lucrative...

I feel a visit to BC coming on...
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 09:18 PM

I have no idea how to make homemade bird feeders,I'm sure if you go onto YouTube ,type in homemade B,F,something will come up,...I have pest off feeders,..I am surrounded by gardens,plus a private car park,next to my garden,I have trees and a six ft fence,I think they like to be enclosed and sheltered,..it does take time for the birds to find the feeders,a couple of months at least,they took ages before they fed from my feeders,..
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 09:32 PM

Filly, I'm jealous of your Home Depot, our DIY stores are dismal compared to yours!
Also jealous of your humming birds!

I suppose I'll have to give it time for birds to find my garden.

Pauline, if I go on YouTube I'll spend hours, it is addictive!
I start off looking for bird feeders and before I know it I'm onto crochet snowflakes, painting techniques etc. etc.

I was hoping someone on here had found something successful.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 10:52 PM

Here you go Tess ....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7yV6V6rtpyc
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 11:20 PM

Where's Nomkins when we need him, Tess?

Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:37 AM

Little birds like small seeds like millet, sunflower or nyjer seeds which need a small seed dispenser or bird feeder. These are usually tube feeders.

Small birds also like suet balls and suet feeders as well as nuts.

This will attract nut hatches, finches, chickadees, sparrows, titmice, junkos, starlings,

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/how-to...f-bird-feeder/

Here are the tube feeders used for small birds. The cage helps deter squirrels, chipmunks and bigger birds and animals from getting the seeds.

Other small bird feeders.

Homemade bird feeders

Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 08:17 AM

I have a Privet Hedge all around my garden with Arches and I have a Bird Tray hanging down on a chain for all the birds, big or small, also hanging from under the Arch I have feeders, with Nuts, Fat Balls, Suet Pellets.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
My bird table is about to collapse, beyond help, my feeding station has developed a lean to one side, bent in the middle section.
Since I've been here (March) I have only had pigeons, crows and the occasional magpie in my garden looking for food.
I need a completely new feeding "centre".

I want to attract smaller birds, I have a tree near a tall hedge.
I was thinking of hanging feeders and something on the side of the shed, possibly a bracket fixing.

What do you all have?

Are there any feeders that attract certain types of birds, not expensive, possibly home made ?

I had lots of birds visiting in my old garden but then I was next to fields and very quiet. I'm surrounded by gardens here.

Suggestions please.
You can get from gardening centres those little trays which fit onto plastic bottles.
They are good
Or just make your own

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top