Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 08:08 PM

workshop messing about

Talk about boredom, It got to the stage where I dug out a set of screwdrivers I used last over 30 years ago. Rusted shafts cleaned up and handles now with plaster and paint splodges removed. Even down to squaring up the tip end.

How sad is that
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 08:17 PM

Re: workshop messing about

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Talk about boredom, It got to the stage where I dug out a set of screwdrivers I used last over 30 years ago. Rusted shafts cleaned up and handles now with plaster and paint splodges removed. Even down to squaring up the tip end.

How sad is that
Very sad, you can buy a brand new set for less than £20 and in some cases less than £10!

However that kept you from being bored, for a while anyway. What's next I wonder?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 08:22 PM

Baz I have enough sets of screwdrivers to stock a hardware shop. This exercise was purely to give me something to do. Its been raining so going outside to do anything was not an option.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Baz I have enough sets of screwdrivers to stock a hardware shop. This exercise was purely to give me something to do
Yes, I am the same with tools that are no longer used. Also I have my father's, he was an electrician so plenty there. I used to service / repair my own cars and motorcycles so even more there!

I did realise your reason for doing that, I was just joking with you.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

27-06-2020, 08:46 PM

I know, I too have several of my fathers tools I never use and never will but just can't get rid of them. You are like me in a lot of respects. I did a lot of work on cars when one could. Even rebuilt a non running 4 door Moggie and resprayed it. Hate to think of the number of cars I worked on to help to get money for when Sue and I were engaged. Typical day was finish my day to day job then straight around to a mates house , he had a pit, and work on customers cars till well after midnight, every penny counted
Thought nothing of doing a clutch replacement in an evening or a head decoke/ Replacing big end shell bearings took a bit longer or fitting new piston rings

Talk about grafting. To give some idea we paid off the debt on Sue Hillman imp. I was earning about £15 a week initially, in 18 months we had saved nearly £1500, unbelievable now but we did it with Sue as a typist in an office. I lost so much weight (down to six and a half stone) I was getting quite ill and told to ease up. Saturdays and Sundays were just another day of work, we only went out twice during that time, True, as we desperately wanted our own house.

At least we had enough for a deposit on a house and pay for the wedding. But that is another story
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 09:11 PM

I have bought a fixed angle knife sharpening set up. Every knife in the kitchen is now razor sharp.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

27-06-2020, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
I have bought a fixed angle knife sharpening set up. Every knife in the kitchen is now razor sharp.

Bet not as sharp as my wife Sue's tongue . Somewhere or other here in the house there is what is called a "steel" to do just that.
Used to have two round grinding small disks in a plastic holder one dragged a knife between which did that
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 09:21 PM

I'm bored rigid. zzzzzzz
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 09:23 PM

One of these

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	61K6vgjAFSL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	13051  
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK

27-06-2020, 09:24 PM

The drag types do horrible things to an edge.

A steel is good but needs a degree of skill to use.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top