Join for free
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 05:31 PM

opticians

Has anyone here heard of lenses that don't steam up....the reason I'm asking is ,my husband went for an eye test today and he needs new lenses. he was asked if he wanted " I suppose they would be treated with something" lenses that don't steam up....I've never ever heard of this and I've never been asked if I would like them....and it made me think that because we wear masks since covid, which make the glasses steam up, that this might be a way of getting us to part with more of our money,
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 05:46 PM

Re: opticians

Multi layer anti reflection with hydrophobic coat.
Davenorave
Wales
Davenorave is male  Davenorave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 06:41 PM

Though I have heard of this. I'm picking up my new specs tomorrow but no one mentioned anti misting treatment when I ordered them. Perhaps one ought to mention the treatment when ordering.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 06:48 PM

Paula I haven't heard of these lenses but now I have I will ask for them. I have a big problem with steamed lenses when opening the open door to look at baking.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by paula ->
Has anyone here heard of lenses that don't steam up....the reason I'm asking is ,my husband went for an eye test today and he needs new lenses. he was asked if he wanted " I suppose they would be treated with something" lenses that don't steam up....I've never ever heard of this and I've never been asked if I would like them....and it made me think that because we wear masks since covid, which make the glasses steam up, that this might be a way of getting us to part with more of our money,
Paying for the advanced type of coating does offer the reduced incidence of fogging, BUT, IMHO it's not worth paying the extra. My treated lenses still fog when coming in from the cold and into a warm (usually damper) atmosphere, although it is a little reduced. In future I will opt for the standard coatings and leave it at that.
I could explain about due point temperatures and the relative humidity found in the average home, but that would probably confuse most people. One thing I did find with the more expensive coatings, the lenses seem to smear less and cleaning is easier.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top