Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 12:36 AM

Re: Bad Dentists

Originally Posted by Graham ->
Bad dentists are the reason I have to be sedated to have a tooth pulled..
That's interesting Graham, my dentist says they're not allowed to give anaesthetics now. If I wanted to be knocked out I would have to go to hospital.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 02:49 AM

I started a thread in the Health section a while ago named Teeth. Of course, you don't have to read it, but I have an absolutely fantastic dentist who was very caring and compassionate because of my situation, and he was extremely kind so I went through a procedure which I never thought I'd have to go through.

If you do want to read it, here it is. My dentist has changed my perception of myself, which includes a photo of me a few years ago before everything went wrong.

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=6731
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by suecook ->
Implants not what they should be and Dentists won't take responsibily for bad workmanship.Always got excuses.
They take your money and laugh all the way to the bank.
I never realised how bad my NHS dentist was until I came to Australia and paid for dentistry.

I am not saying all NHS dentists are like him because he was the only one I had (I was 19 when I left the UK) and he was a butcher but until you have somebody else you think it is the norm.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 09:29 AM

We're lucky to have a great Dentist, been with him now for nearly 15 years. Ok I have to travel down to Perth to see him but it's worth it and I'm down there a lot anyway.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's interesting Graham, my dentist says they're not allowed to give anaesthetics now. If I wanted to be knocked out I would have to go to hospital.
Sedation is not anaesthetic. You are given a drug which induces relaxed state and removes all memory of the event. You are still given 'local' shots, you are awake and responsive, but there is no memory of the entire thing. I had a hip transplant last year using a similar process.

Unfortunately, the good old days of getting a General are well gone. A General Anaesthetic can still be given at a dentist, but it must be done by a qualified anaesthetist under full life-support conditions as in a hospital.

It is possible to still have a GA at a dentist, but be prepared to pay a lot of money for it, and certainly not under NHS.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->

It is possible to still have a GA at a dentist, but be prepared to pay a lot of money for it, and certainly not under NHS.
I don't know what it's like now but after having GA about 30 years ago at the dentist (for a filling ), I would never recommend it. You aren't allowed to sleep it off for very long and I can remember being woken up and very doddery on my feet, my husband had to walk me out to the car and I've never felt so awful. After that I braved the needle!
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 06:24 AM

I have a good dentist but he certainly knows how to charge - a literally five minute scrape and clean the other day was $192 - £113. Got most of it back on my health scheme but I wouldn't mind making that sort of money.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 08:00 AM

My Son worked as a dentist's assistant for a couple of years and he told me that unnecessary work in the Dentist industry is rife, he witnessed this many times.

Your pain is their gain...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
I have a good dentist but he certainly knows how to charge - a literally five minute scrape and clean the other day was $192 - £113. Got most of it back on my health scheme but I wouldn't mind making that sort of money.
Bloody hell! My dentist only charges $80 to $90 for inspection, scrape and clean - her charges are always very reasonable. I think your mistake is telling him/her that you have insurance.
Veejay
New Member!
Gold Coast, Queensland Austrlia
Veejay is female 

22-09-2013, 07:57 AM

I have been having treatment at the Local University Oral Health
School, where I live, (in Queensland Australia)
and have a terrific Year 4 Student doing lots of treatments on me. All old amalgam fillings removed and composite put in. Takes a bit longer as all work is approved by tutors before they start anything. Costs not a cent by the way unless root canal needed and that would cost, but we don't have to have it done, can request extraction.
When all done will have a new partial denture made to fill in gap in front of mouth.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top