Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 12:08 AM

Re: Crickets and other useful tools.

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
If your left palm itches, you are going to receive money and if the right palm itches, you will lose money (it might be the other way around though ... )
Yes, I remember that one too BV, and I'm not sure which way round it is either.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 12:15 AM

Moss!! Are we living in medieval times? I am surprised that no one has mentioned the most important aid of all, did none of you belong to the Boy Scouts?

For those unfortunates in the northern half of the planet. Point the hour hand of your watch at the sun and South is half way between the hour hand and 12 on the the watch. Hold the watch horizontally.

In the southern hemisphere you point the 12 at the sun and north is halfway between the 12 and the hour hand.

Doesn't work with digital watches

I haven't looked but you can be sure there is a Youtube video about it.

Of course nowadays you just get a compass app for your mobile phone.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 12:27 AM

I nearly forgot - allow for daylight savings.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 07:38 AM

If your left palm itches, you are going to receive money and if the right palm itches, you will lose money (it might be the other way around though ... )
Left to lose - right to receive ... or so Grandma used to say!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I was always told that one too.
The centigrade to farenheit thing I always do is:
Whatever the centigrade is, double it and add 30. It's usually only a degree or two out and handy for a quick estimate.
That's how my Dad taught me to do but he added -3 which is pretty much the same. Strange how these things are still said isn't it!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I remember that one too BV, and I'm not sure which way round it is either.
Puts you in quite a quandry doesn't it Mups - not knowing whether or not feel excited or disappointed
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

20-09-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Moss!! Are we living in medieval times? I am surprised that no one has mentioned the most important aid of all, did none of you belong to the Boy Scouts?

For those unfortunates in the northern half of the planet. Point the hour hand of your watch at the sun and South is half way between the hour hand and 12 on the the watch. Hold the watch horizontally.

In the southern hemisphere you point the 12 at the sun and north is halfway between the 12 and the hour hand.

Doesn't work with digital watches

I haven't looked but you can be sure there is a Youtube video about it.

Of course nowadays you just get a compass app for your mobile phone.
I didn't know that about the watch - very interesting and I shall be testing that one out when I can find my watch.

It wouldn't help with todays children, most of them don't wear watches anymore and tend to use their phones for the time. My eldest granddaughter was telling me last night that her iphone has satnav on it!

The old skills are no longer needed
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

20-09-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Left to lose - right to receive ... or so Grandma used to say!
Ah - a good way to remember: the L's together and the R's together
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
On this side of the world .... moss will grow more on the north side of a rock or tree giving you an idea of direction if your lost in the woods or mountains ...I guess its the other side for our Aussie friends ?
...also green deposit around the north facing windows of a parked car I noticed the other day. That shows how often I wash my car
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

20-09-2013, 02:22 PM

I didn't know that about the watch - very interesting and I shall be testing that one out when I can find my watch.

It wouldn't help with todays children, most of them don't wear watches anymore and tend to use their phones for the time. My eldest granddaughter was telling me last night that her iphone has satnav on it!

The old skills are no longer needed
As I said I was surprised no one mentioned it because on reflection I might have learned it when I was in the cubs rather than the scouts. I thought it was common knowledge among our generation ie watch owners.

Yes my Android phone has a built in sat nav too but I rarely use it to find places I tend to use Google maps for that (same device - different app).

However using the watch to check you are going in generally the right direction is quicker, once you know it it takes hardly longer than telling the time.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top