Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 08:05 AM

Cycling Helmets and Mamils

Does anyone cycle here ?
Should helmets be made compulsory ?

What do you think of the dreaded Mamils ?

If you don't know what a Mamil is you haven't met one !
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 08:19 AM

Re: Cycling Helmets and Mamils

Living where I do we have lots of Mamils around ...Otley has a massive cycling club as does Ilkley and the Brownlea brothers live just up the road.....you see some sights you really do ....I love the ones who make fun of themselves though wearing Fat Boy at the Back lycra....yes that really is a range of designer type lycra...expensive too

Should helmets be compulsory..yes probably
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 08:27 AM

No you can't mandate cycling helmets imo because the pastime/sport is so very varied. You have at one end, extreme mountain bikers tearing down hillsides in gulleys and tracks who absolutely do need helmets. At the other end of the scale you have very passive and gentle cycling people on flat tracks around country parks.

So it's always going to be a case of a person deciding for themselves what type of activity they are undertaking. Personally I never wear one because I'm a very passive cyclist only using country park routes away from traffic and cycling extremely leisurely.

I'm no more at risk than a jogger running along and they don't wear helmets either.

Anyone cycling on public roads absolutely should wear one and that could be mandated as a rule, same as motorcycle users.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
No you can't mandate cycling helmets imo because the pastime/sport is so very varied. You have at one end, extreme mountain bikers tearing down hillsides in gulleys and tracks who absolutely do need helmets. At the other end of the scale you have very passive and gentle cycling people on flat tracks around country parks.

So it's always going to be a case of a person deciding for themselves what type of activity they are undertaking. Personally I never wear one because I'm a very passive cyclist only using country park routes away from traffic and cycling extremely leisurely.

I'm no more at risk than a jogger running along and they don't wear helmets either.

Anyone cycling on public roads absolutely should wear one and that could be mandated as a rule, same as motorcycle users.
Yes that makes sense Realist compulsory on public roads.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 08:32 AM

I use to cycle , and my OH and Son were in CC, we all rode with Helmets on after my son when aged10 was found unconscious in the street , after going out on his bike .I do think Helmets should be compulsory , along with lights after dusk .

Mamils , i had no idea what that was till i looked the word up , these new words keep popping up . "middle-aged man in lycra".
I find nothing wrong with that ,i knew lots , including OH ,I even wore Lycra
in my late 50s .Photos to prove it .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 08:37 AM

It's when they ambush you from behind that is the problem .
There are loads around here on country lanes without footpaths .
In two ticks they are behind you scowling because you are in their way .
You can't hear the beggars until they are on top of you .
Bells ( rang before their owners are practically in your pocket) should be made compulsory .
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 08:45 AM

I think cycling helmets should be compulsory, especially for children. It can be very irritating when cyclists cycle a few abreast so motorists find it hard to pass them. This can cause accidents if motorists get frustrated and try to pass them anyway.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

01-06-2018, 08:46 AM

Let's not on any account frustrate motorists .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 10:06 AM

MAMIL.

Is that Middle Aged Man In Lycra

or

Middle Aged Man Ignoring Lights?

We get lots of cyclists around here although I don't personally. The roads around here are very narrow so if you get behind a Constipation, it can add quite a bit of time to a journey.

I would say the majority of cyclists around here are club members and are very well behaved but we do get the odd one or two travelling the wrong way up a road or on the pavement.

We had the Tour of Britain come through here last time and the town went all out to welcome them and really made an effort with their window displays but the TV cameras ignored us unfortunately.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Let's not on any account frustrate motorists .
Certainly not if the idiots are deliberately cycling several abreast to frustrate them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top