Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 05:20 PM

New Problem Paying by Debit card?

Just failed to get the debit card transaction to work as I was buying a washing Machine, over the phone, from a local dealer.

He took all the details and then said it was "something going wrong all over the country".

He said it will be on the news tonight!

Worrying, really, as Friday Evening used to be considered to be the time the hackers hacked the banks.

I'll be watching as my Visa Payment is showing in the Pending part of the bank statement but it isn't being transferred.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 05:35 PM

Re: New Problem Paying by Debit card?

yes, here it comes:-

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/new...ide/ar-AAy7hfh
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Just failed to get the debit card transaction to work as I was buying a washing Machine, over the phone, from a local dealer.
Computer system failures to one side for a minute . . . are you saying you gave your full bank card details over the phone to someone?? Card number, expiry date, security number?!

Bad idea.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Computer system failures to one side for a minute . . . are you saying you gave your full bank card details over the phone to someone?? Card number, expiry date, security number?!

Bad idea.
Why? That is what we all do when we purchase items via the internet & I assume that Ted had dialed the phone number of his local dealer?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Why? That is what we all do when we purchase items via the internet & I assume that Ted had dialed the phone number of his local dealer?
Even online is the same. You still have to give all the details. The only we don't give is the pin number.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 06:54 PM

One of the ways that your card is compromised is in the call centre when the operator repeats the details to you for confirmation, someone else is earwigging.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

01-06-2018, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
What's more, the account only ever has enough transferred to it to make the planned payment.

And Over Drawing is not an option.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 08:09 PM

I hadnt heard this,I used my visa yesterday and ,fortunately,didnt have any problems,I havent use it today
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Bad idea.

How else are you supposed to make a card payment??

Even our shop we take payment over the phone, the card machine has an option for Payee is not present

I wouldn't have the time nor energy to take the details twice, once for the payment and once for me to rob the customer and our shop wasn't what you could call busy
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 08:35 PM

Astounding at the naivety of some on this forum !

Purwell is about the only one who understands.

Give a human your card details over the phone and your account is compromised. You're at the mercy of the person you are talking to who can use your details themselves or pass/sell them to a bunch of crooks.

As Purwell suggested, in a call centre lots of people are earwigging.

It's not the least bit the same as buying stuff over the internet. Online shopping is surrounded by security at every stage with secure payment portals.

Giving your card details over the phone is just lunacy.

I have first hand experience. Year before last did our house insurance. We tried to use the insurer's website but it wouldn't work. Called the call centre and we were told our policy was an old one not listed on their modern system so out only option was to do a card transaction over the phone.
I was very reluctant but had no other payment options so gave the details. The call centre operator read back the numbers to confirm, rather loudly I thought and the transaction went through.

24hrs later we discovered our card had been used fraudulently. Banking systems had thankfully picked it up after a couple of £20 transactions.

We informed them who the culprits were and also phoned the insurance call centre manager to tell them they had a problem with staff taking people's card details.

Moved insurance companies this year. It's such a ridiculous setup in this day and age to not have any online payment option.

Bottom line, NEVER EVER give anyone your card details over a phone. Just no no no.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top