Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 05:55 AM

Re: New Problem Paying by Debit card?

Realist, in many cases your debit card is also a cheque guarantee card. I appreciate that not many people use cheques now, but when they do , they can see your card number, security number and any other information on it.
The person you are paying is supposed to take the card from you, to prevent you ( as you may not be the genuine owner of the card) from trying to copy the signature.

I would expect that all those who couldn't pay yesterday, owing to the debit card problem, would have used this method if they had a cheque book with them.... or are you telling us that all who used this method of payment are also niave?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Astounding at the naivety of some on this forum !

Purwell is about the only one who understands.

Give a human your card details over the phone and your account is compromised. You're at the mercy of the person you are talking to who can use your details themselves or pass/sell them to a bunch of crooks.

As Purwell suggested, in a call centre lots of people are earwigging.

It's not the least bit the same as buying stuff over the internet. Online shopping is surrounded by security at every stage with secure payment portals.

Giving your card details over the phone is just lunacy.

I have first hand experience. Year before last did our house insurance. We tried to use the insurer's website but it wouldn't work. Called the call centre and we were told our policy was an old one not listed on their modern system so out only option was to do a card transaction over the phone.
I was very reluctant but had no other payment options so gave the details. The call centre operator read back the numbers to confirm, rather loudly I thought and the transaction went through.

24hrs later we discovered our card had been used fraudulently. Banking systems had thankfully picked it up after a couple of £20 transactions.

We informed them who the culprits were and also phoned the insurance call centre manager to tell them they had a problem with staff taking people's card details.

Moved insurance companies this year. It's such a ridiculous setup in this day and age to not have any online payment option.

Bottom line, NEVER EVER give anyone your card details over a phone. Just no no no.
I agree - handing out all the numbers over the phone including the cvc number is just lunacy.

I had a taxi journey recently whereby his normal chip and pin wasn't working.

He wanted me to hand over my card with all the number details plus cvc to a device which would upload it to his phone and take payment that way.

No way I said, I know the company quite well and paid the next day via their website - much more secure.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Astounding at the naivety of some on this forum !

Purwell is about the only one who understands.

Give a human your card details over the phone and your account is compromised. You're at the mercy of the person you are talking to who can use your details themselves or pass/sell them to a bunch of crooks.

As Purwell suggested, in a call centre lots of people are earwigging.

It's not the least bit the same as buying stuff over the internet. Online shopping is surrounded by security at every stage with secure payment portals.

Giving your card details over the phone is just lunacy.

I have first hand experience. Year before last did our house insurance. We tried to use the insurer's website but it wouldn't work. Called the call centre and we were told our policy was an old one not listed on their modern system so out only option was to do a card transaction over the phone
I was very reluctant but had no other payment options so gave the details. The call centre operator read back the numbers to confirm, rather loudly I thought and the transaction went through.

24hrs later we discovered our card had been used fraudulently. Banking systems had thankfully picked it up after a couple of £20 transactions.

We informed them who the culprits were and also phoned the insurance call centre manager to tell them they had a problem with staff taking people's card details.

Moved insurance companies this year. It's such a ridiculous setup in this day and age to not have any online payment option.

Bottom line, NEVER EVER give anyone your card details over a phone. Just no no no.
My Bold - So what you are saying is that your transaction was "Lunacy".

You argue that phone transactions are unsafe - yet you were the one who did it!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
My Bold - So what you are saying is that your transaction was "Lunacy".

You argue that phone transactions are unsafe - yet you were the one who did it!
Yep and fully admit it. I was stuffed into a corner with no other way to sort out the house insurance in that moment. My fault for not sorting it out before renewal. I wasn't the least bit naïve about what I was doing, I was very concerned about having to pay that way and made my concerns known. Nevertheless, this call centre had staff that WERE unfortunately engaging in fraud. Such is life.

As I said, this year when they tried the whole thing again I told them to go get screwed, and moved to another insurer with good secure website payments.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 01:19 PM

Hi

Cash is king in rural Shropshire.

I doubt if anyone even noticed.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 01:31 PM

I've been forced to do that too recently with insurance. My credit card company are very good at checking fraudulent transactions and stopping the card. I would never ever give my debit card over the phone. At least with the credit card you can argue it out and not pay the bill until resolved. I only use the debit card in shops or to take cash out.

in 2003 my debit card was cloned. I believe it was in a garage that I'd never used before. I only realised when I was overdrawn a few weeks later because someone had gone to the US on holiday and withdrawn $1000 cash. The cheeky so and so's came back and used cash back at the supermarket. This was after they cancelled the card too. I did get all the money back but it took a few weeks. This was all before chip and pin so it was far easier then.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Cash is king in rural Shropshire.

I doubt if anyone even noticed.
i was in Sainsbury's this morning and the check out girl told me there was huge chaos there last night.

People were advised to go outside and get cash out of the cash machines.

Big Queues and lots of unhappy shoppers.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
i was in Sainsbury's this morning and the check out girl told me there was huge chaos there last night.

People were advised to go outside and get cash out of the cash machines.

Big Queues and lots of unhappy shoppers.
It's those who have bought fuel that I always feel sorry for. At least with food, you can leave it in the shop.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top