Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 09:11 PM

Re: I live on a hill...

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Good grief Nicol, that's awful! I really don't know how you or anyone else suffering flooding, copes. It's happening too often now isn't it? I wonder why?

I know I wouldn't be able to handle it. I'm not even insured for flooding
Same, to all of that
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
OMG NIcol

Thats horrendous

Do you still live in the same house?
Yes, still live with that in my head all the time

It was pretty crap, really stressful, not helped by cowboy builders and the whole industry that grew up around flood victims.

The reasons for the flooding were mostly down to the council not clearing out the drains and culverts and not emptying the "ponds". Plus the fire brigade pumped out the water pumping station at the top of the hill and chucked all the water down the road.

It had been raining for weeks before hand and the ground was saturated to the point of not being able to absorb any more water, then 3 months rain in 1 day put the tin lid on it.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 09:13 PM

Good grief Nicol, that's awful! I really don't know how you or anyone else suffering flooding, copes. It's happening too often now isn't it? I wonder why?

I know I wouldn't be able to handle it. I'm not even insured for flooding
A lot of it is down to too much building leaving nowhere for surface water to go.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
A lot of it is down to too much building leaving nowhere for surface water to go.
Is that what it is? I do remember reading too about the fashion for concreting drives adding to the problem of flood water.

It's so sad how folk lose their possessions, especially irreplaceable ones.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 09:20 PM

It was pretty crap, really stressful, not helped by cowboy builders and the whole industry that grew up around flood victims.

The reasons for the flooding were mostly down to the council not clearing out the drains and culverts and not emptying the "ponds". Plus the fire brigade pumped out the water pumping station at the top of the hill and chucked all the water down the road.

It had been raining for weeks before hand and the ground was saturated to the point of not being able to absorb any more water, then 3 months rain in 1 day put the tin lid on it.

I really do feel for you

Have the council pilled their finger out and sorted things since so it doesn't happen again?
Nicol
South east of England

01-06-2018, 09:27 PM

Is that what it is? I do remember reading too about the fashion for concreting drives adding to the problem of flood water.

It's so sad how folk lose their possessions, especially irreplaceable ones.
After that lot of flooding in 2007 (up north got hit badly the month before) new laws were brought in about block paving I believe, special bricks with gaps so the water can soak away.

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I really do feel for you

Have the council pilled their finger out and sorted things since so it doesn't happen again?
Yeah, they've been clearing the drains and culverts more often and when heavy rain is forecast they clear the drains again. They've also dug out a couple of new ponds to take the excess flood water that runs down the hill.

I live at the bottom of the hill It all ends up here.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 02:22 AM

Hi

Shrewsbury on Saturday.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...s-town-centre/

We had loads of thunder but only 10 minutes or so of the downpour, less than a mile away the crops were flattened and the roads shut.

Our drainage systems are very old and no matter how often they are cleaned out, they are just not big enough to cope.

Decades of under investment since the Water Companies where privatised and Council's powers to link new development to bigger drainage systems severely curtailed.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 06:08 AM

We all need to get used to this, and in many cases insurance companies will no longer insure you against flood or you premiums go through the roof.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 08:27 AM

We had torrential rain yesterday, but we live at a the top of a rise, so weren't worried about it. I am so glad we don't live in our previous property, which was in a valley and yards from a small river. It had never been known to flood the property but came too close for comfort in 2000.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 09:09 AM

The last time our town was flooded (before we moved here), it was due to a build up of litter blocking the culvert gates. Since then they have installed an early warning system so that if the level rises, it sets off an alarm somewhere or other. I think this should be done everywhere.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top