Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 12:39 PM

Re: British business uncompetitive?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, there are still millions of tons of accessible coal still down there. A short-sighted government decision, as usual, prompted by the tree-huggers.
Maggie Maggie Maggie
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am not sure that this is true, I worked it out once that those millions of tonnes of accessible coal in the UK are actually about the same amount as Queensland alone exports in a week (something like that).

During the Heath government 3 day week Australia offered to land steaming coal in Britain at less than half the cost of the coal from British mines.

It is probably best left in the ground then it will still be there in hundreds of years time when/if we are really short of energy.
You are correct. Presently it is cheaper to import coal, and I understand that much of ours comes from places like Poland.

I believe that, in a rare instance of foresight, our government made several closed coal mines relatively cheaply maintainable in the event that in the future our own coal may prove cheaper and/or more accessible.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 01:33 PM

Hi

Apparently we have 80 Billion tonnes of accessible coal.

I am totally against burning oil and coal for power generation, it is simply using up resources.

Our Coal could be a great asset to us, we could be doing what the Chinese are.

https://www.process-worldwide.com/co...tics-a-680738/

Modern plastics are recyclable , especially automotive plastics, we are not talking plastic wrappings here.

Our coal is a huge asset, best to use it not waste it.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 02:13 PM

I used to work for a major German engineering group and was surprised to see how effective and well trained their factory workforces were. In stark contrast to here in GB. Arbeit, arbeit, arbeit !!

Handshakes first thing, no coffees, newspapers, last night's TV.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
I used to work for a major German engineering group and was surprised to see how effective and well trained their factory workforces were. In stark contrast to here in GB. Arbeit, arbeit, arbeit !!

Handshakes first thing, no coffees, newspapers, last night's TV.
Would disagree with you there, I found them even more hidebound than us!
German engineering being efficient is a myth that for some reason is still believed today.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 02:29 PM

The difference is that in Germany they respect their factory workers instead of treading on them. All work is valued & workers are trained. Here it's always been considered a lowly occupation. In Germany they seem to have made a success of numerous small to medium sized, privately owned manufacturers. There must be a certain about of protection for that to happen. However, even in Germany services still take the lion's share of the economy. The more developed a country the less it manufactures. Even Dyson has moved his factories and does R&D here.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Apparently we have 80 Billion tonnes of accessible coal.

I am totally against burning oil and coal for power generation, it is simply using up resources.

Our Coal could be a great asset to us, we could be doing what the Chinese are.

https://www.process-worldwide.com/co...tics-a-680738/

Modern plastics are recyclable , especially automotive plastics, we are not talking plastic wrappings here.

Our coal is a huge asset, best to use it not waste it.
Where did you get those figures? According to Eurocoal.

The UK has identified hard coal resources of 3 560 million tonnes, although total resources could be as large as 187 billion tonnes. About 80 million tonnes of the economically recoverable reserves are available in shallow deposits capable of being extracted by surface mining. There are also about 1 000 million tonnes of lignite resources, mainly in Northern Ireland, although no lignite is mined at present.
To put them in context Australia alone exports about 500 million tonnes each year and has done for decades.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 06:09 AM

2007, what Crash was that?

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top