Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 11:41 AM

Audible

Am I alone in thinking this a waste of money? For the price they charge you should be able to stream as many books as you want, but you can't keep them rather than pay £7.99 or whatever it is per title and owning the book. Imagine if Netflix only let you watch and own 1 movie a month.

I would definitely read/listen to more than one book a month.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 12:06 PM

Re: Audible

Go onto YouTube - type 'Audiobooks' in the search box - there are hundreds on there - everything from 'A Brief History of Time', through Crime fiction, Spy stories etc., all free to listen to.

Also - if you like dramas - there are lots of those as well.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 12:34 PM

Try the Audiobook Bay, it's free..

https://audiobookbay.nl/member/login.php
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 01:07 PM

That is a good site - but you have to download the books which takes up space on the PC - with YouTube you do not need to do that.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 03:30 PM

Yes that's true, I download a lot and store them on a big memory disc thing, if I want to listen to one I put it onto a memory key and either plug it into the computer or the stereo unit. I collect them as I listen to whole series over again. But that's just me.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

02-06-2018, 09:02 PM

Roxy - do you know how to download them on to CDs ?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 11:55 PM

As far as I can find out the only way to put audio books onto a CD is to actually play them and record them - the encryption is too good (unlike ebooks). Though to be honest I have not looked lately so that might be wrong.

However all is not lost they are available for download on sites like "Privateer Cove"
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2018, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Go onto YouTube - type 'Audiobooks' in the search box - there are hundreds on there - everything from 'A Brief History of Time', through Crime fiction, Spy stories etc., all free to listen to.

Also - if you like dramas - there are lots of those as well.
Now that is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that (and I am an avid Youtube user). you could use a program like Freemake to download them as MP3s which only take up a tiny amount of room then stick several on each CD to play in the car.

One thing I have discovered is that my car stereo has trouble remembering where it is when playing long MP3s, say 40 minutes long, so I chop them into 10 minutes segments using Audacity then they are fine.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

03-06-2018, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Roxy - do you know how to download them on to CDs ?
Yes, but I've not done it for a while, would have to play about a bit and refresh my memory, they burn to the CD as MP3 or MP4, do you have something that will play them like that? Or do you intend to listen through your PC?
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2018, 04:39 PM

I go to the library for my books,of course it means you dont get new ones.but I usually find something I like.When I was a teenager a shop near me used to sell books and when you finished you could take it back and get a reduction off another book.I dont think they were new titles though.I do love to read but seldom buy a new book

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top