Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 03:38 PM

Would you Repair or buy new?

Do you ever repair things or are you more likely to bin it and go buy a new one?
Reason I ask is my trusty old Carlton airtech hard shell case wheels bit the dust when I was on holiday in April, instead of happily pulling along 23kg of suitcase on nice spinning wheels, I ended up dragging 23kg of case and luggage through the packed Sydney streets to the hotel. When I got back I thought I would just purchase a nice new shiny case of the same make, only to find out they do not make that type anymore and all the new ones are these flimsy plastic type with zip fastners, having witnesed the current cases being thrown around at various airports around the World I reckoned a new one would not last five minutes. Anyway I did a search online and found one punter selling the exact wheels I needed to fix the case on ebay! I bought the wheels for less than £20, fixed the case and I am quite chuffed to have the thing working again....
So the question is repair or buy new?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 03:43 PM

Re: Would you Repair or buy new?

I would always buy new.
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I would always buy new.
Ah but tarantula what about in my case (pun not originally intended) when they do not sell that type of case anymore, would you go for the flimsy flamsy modern day case that would last a mere morsel of time?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
Ah but tarantula what about in my case (pun not originally intended) when they do not sell that type of case anymore, would you go for the flimsy flamsy modern day case that would last a mere morsel of time?
It is up to you what you do of course.
DWebb
North East, UK

04-06-2018, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
It is up to you what you do of course.
Well as I say I did try and buy new, paid my hard earned cash over but they refunded me two days later.....

I suppose I did save about £100+ though
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 04:07 PM

If something can't be repaired easily - I buy new. If it is something I really like and it gets broken I will mend it best I can and manage. Depends on what it is I suppose.
DWebb
North East, UK

04-06-2018, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
If something can't be repaired easily - I buy new. If it is something I really like and it gets broken I will mend it best I can and manage. Depends on what it is I suppose.
I was wheely chuffed with fixing it though
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by DWebb ->
I was wheely chuffed with fixing it though
Good for you DWebb. You sound like my OH - he always says to me "you don't need to buy one - I'll fix it"
DWebb
North East, UK

04-06-2018, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Good for you DWebb. You sound like my OH - he always says to me "you don't need to buy one - I'll fix it"
I am sensing that might irritate you at times to be honest it was a bit of a one off and I did actually try to buy new
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 04:26 PM

The wheels went on my nice comfortable desk chair & I was going to buy another one, but discovered on Amazon they sold replacement wheels so I bought those instead. It's fine now, but usually yes, I do buy new.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top